Woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Is the woodrat really any good? I only ask as it seems grossly overpriced! for what it is. I know you can cut many joints with it but do they take a long time to set up and how fast is it at cutting them? Anyone here use one?

Oh no!

Just kidding. You'll have plenty of advice very soon, on both sides of the fence. In the meantime, a search on "Woodrat" will give you a flavour of what to expect. There's a bit of a battle between the 'ratters and the leighvites on here.

Hi Mailee,

You have not found the search on this forum yet have you? [-( :roll:

This comes up on a regular basis. I don't have a rat but wall space and folding money permitting I would buy one.

You best take cover when the ratters find this they will be followed by the Leigh crowd. :whistle:

I'll speed up the normal thread then.... :wink:

mailee":3ljhi985 said:
Is the woodrat really any good?

Yes

I only ask as it seems grossly overpriced! for what it is.
If you compare with any multi-joint making system, it could be considered cheap.

I know you can cut many joints with it
Yes, almost an infinite number if you include using it at an angle-piece Thereby allowing you to make octaganol etc multisided items..

but do they take a long time to set up
No, they don't have a "setup" as such, you just start using it.

and how fast is it at cutting them?
Depends how sharp you router bit is. Its as fast as the user.

Anyone here use one?
Yes, quite a few.

For some more serious answers, try typing "woodrat" into the search facility, and read a few threads.

Best of all though, is to find someone local whos willing to let you try it out and have a go! Theres no beating giving any tool a proper test run.

Adam

mailee":twpnw0ky said:
Is the woodrat really any good? I only ask as it seems grossly overpriced! for what it is. I know you can cut many joints with it but do they take a long time to set up and how fast is it at cutting them? Anyone here use one?
Hi mailee and welcome.

Here are a few past threads to get you started...
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5262
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3908
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2245
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=943

Price is always relative and (unfortunately) often best viewed long after the purchase.

Well thanks guys, sorry about not using the search but usually on most forums they send you off on a wild goose chase. Looks like it is worth the money then. It is not that I am tight but I make most of the jigs I use and have just recently bought a hobby dovetail jig after using a home made one for a number of years. I have also just built my workshop so funds are tight at the moment. I would love to have a test of a woodrat but don't know of anyone in this area who uses one. I agree that the best test of a tool is in it's use. From the sound of the replies on here it is the dogs danglies and well worth the £500 ish price tag. Thanks again guys.

There'll be more to come, don't worry. Ratters seem quite evangelistic, and Leigh owners seem to hate the way the 'rat gets all the attention. At least that is my unjust summary of the essence of the war...

Jake":1xufmm3s said:
There'll be more to come, don't worry. Ratters seem quite evangelistic, and Leigh owners seem to hate the way the 'rat gets all the attention. At least that is my unjust summary of the essence of the war...
War? Which way to the front...

People do tend to get "passionate" about their own tool choices and that should always be kept in mind when reading answers to posts.

mailee, it seems from one of your posts above that you have something which works for you. If so, what would be a compelling reason for change?

For myself, one reason I chose the 'Rat was because I wanted to have more freedom in machine-made joinery. I also wanted to see if I could dump various user-made router jigs that needed a lot of fine tuning each time I switched jobs for them.

Also, I didn't like doing blind dados or grooves on a router table or my shaper (spindle moulder). With the WoodRat I can see what I am doing.

The 'Rat I think has done all that--and more--for me. It will never replace my shaper. But it did my Omnijig. And all in all, it is cheaper than purchasing both the FMT and Leigh, which approximates some of the 'Rat's functionality.

Hi Mailee

I started thread 3908 and found all the replies very informative. At the time there was a Woodrat for sale on ebay. The only jig I had was the Trend Mortice and Tenon jig..stil unused and in its box. I'd never attempted dovetails by any menas. I had a cheapie router table that worked for me, at the time.

But..a Woodrat? I was intrigued and so I bought it and never looked back. Sure..as the replies in my thread say...I still use my router table from time to time..in fact, I'm building a new one..

It's horses for courses

Roger

Hi Mailee
I have a Littlerat-it is such a great tool! It allows you to use the router safely and accurately-how about buying the video or DVD from the website? It will give you all the info you need (as well as a giggle!)
Cheers
Philly :D

Ah, Mailee, you've brightened my Monday morning. Ringing peals of laughter could no doubt be heard as far away as Bodmin. :lol: The search and so forth has it covered, so we'll spare everyone the repetition. :wink:

Now, now, Jake. [-X Stop trying to get us all started; we shall not rise to the bait. :p :D

Cheers, Alf

Adam":88gqlctd said:
If you compare with any multi-joint making system, it could be considered cheap.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info guys, I have sent for the video. To answer your question MikeW I do have jigs that work for me but as you stated they take time to set up and constantly need fine tuning. I thought I may speed up some of the processes with the rat if it is as good as they say. Mind you I will have to wait until funds are replenished at the moment as the new workshop has taken most of my coffers.

lets hear it for the RAT =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Back