Woodrat progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
After finally getting the offset problem sorted out I tried my hand at a sliding dovetail (never made one before in my life). Absolute doddle :D

I also learned a new sound to listen out for. It's the sound that the very large 1/2" dovetail cutter makes when it starts to come loose and just before it falls out at high speed. All because I'd failed to tighten the nut sufficiently. :oops:

It will help if I have a separate collet and nut and so my question is...does anyone know where I can easily get spare collet nuts for a DW625?

Cheers

Roger (all fingers still present and correct luckily)

Roger,

I'm glad you sorted the offset problem - do tell us how!

Re collets, I think Trend do them. I have also used my Xtreme Xtension in the Rat and this certainly makes bit changing easy - much better than fiddling around with a normal collet.

Hi Roger

You can normally get an extra collet and nut from any good tool shop.

This might remind you of grannies and eggs, if so I'm sorry, you shouldn't leave a cutter in a collet for any extended period of time.

Cheers
Neil

Chris

I spoke to Martin who was very helpful. I went back to basics. I also used a different cutter (DC3) and slightly harder wood for the test sticks. I worked out the button position as per the latest version of the manual. I didn't have a bevel gauge and so had to work it out using my caliper and Mark 1 eyeball. I made it 51mm but the Woodrat table gave 56mm. I think that 56mm is probably closer! Particularly when I then applied my 'offset' on the button scale....every little helps ;-)

Three test cuts later and a little tweaking of the spirals in between gave me a nice tight joint and zero offset. So I am one Happy Bunny.

I also do have some play between the router plate and button plate (where the orange pivot pin is). It's 0.35mm and I have no idea whether that is within tolerances or not. Multiply that by 2 (left and right cut) and potentially there is the opportunity for a variable error of 0.7mm to creep in. I've emailed Martin for his comments.

Steve - many thanks for the link

Neil - no problem...I'll suck as many eggs as I need to as long as I learn something...as in this case....never heard about that...why? rust?

Roger

Latest posts

Back