Woodrat Plungebar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Have had the plunge bar sitting in a drawer for 18 months as I wasn't sure how to fit it :oops: Finally got round to it today but I'm not convinced that I've got it right so here are some pictures. Can anyone tell me if I've got it right?
1.jpg

2.jpg

What concerns me is that there is some slack and play in the bar - when the router is plunged and I want it to raise it again there's a bit of delay. Hope I've made myself clear - I think I sound as muddled as some of the woodrat instructions.
Thanks for any comments
Stewart

Thanks for the reply Bean.
I have to say I'm not sure about it yet - but I think my neighbours will be annoyed if I turn my router on at 10 o'clock...I'll wait till Sunday morning :lol:
I've used the router without the plunge bar for a while now so I guess it'll take time to adjust to it. What concerns me is the lack of control with raising the router - the only thing that makes it lift now is its own springs. Without the bar I could help it up manually.

Is this lack of manual control with raising the router what's supposed to happen with the plunge bar?

Inquiringly,
Stewart

Hi Tim
Thanks for the link.
My plunge bar has three parts - the pictures I've taken are from the back of the router and it's very hard to spot the third bar at the front which works in conjunction with the main plunge bar.

I'll have to give it a proper test run tomorrow.

Cheers

Stewart

Thanks for the clear answer, Dave!

I'll have to see how I get on with it.

Cheers
Stewart

Stewart,
I have the same bar as you-I find it makes a big difference on where the forward running bars are-if they rub on the plastic handles they can slow the router on the return. I jiggle the spring across to make sure its not touching.
Hope this makes sense? Just give it a try, it should become obvious.
Cheers
Philly :D

Neil, if he were to remove the springs from the motor and the bit would drop right through router plate on the Rat. :shock:

Even if the router were put in a table, you don't need to remove springs when using the plungebar.

:wink:

I have one of these plunge bars on my B&Q Trend Tech router, which I use mostly in a router table. I find it works great with very little slack. Most problems I've had have come from the plunge mechanism getting clogged up with dust.

cheers

George

Latest posts

Back