Woodrat Opinions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I agree that the "jigs" are for work holding. One here http://www.aldel.co.uk/WorkHolding5.htm I have fitted semi permanently, and another is the full length of the track and is bolted through where the original fences are. It is essentially a long vice of 2 pieces of 3"x2" clamped together with coach bolts and wing nuts. It lets you work on longer pieces. I don't think The Woodrat it is an out of the box solution but it is well thought out and very versatile.

got one...wouldnt be without it...what you need to understand is that you are getting a very good "core machine" and how you adapt/ improve it is up to you. I have fitted a laser line generator to project the front to back center line...v.Useful indeed. also fitted stick down rulers either side. and cursors to ride in the clamps as appropriate. THEN you make your work-holding jigs then......and so it goes on....next is to figure out how to project an accurate left/right laser line (not so easy) I would certainly recommend it...

ankledeep":3rp83zsl said:
got one...wouldnt be without it...what you need to understand is that you are getting a very good "core machine" and how you adapt/ improve it is up to you. I have fitted a laser line generator to project the front to back center line...v.Useful indeed. also fitted stick down rulers either side. and cursors to ride in the clamps as appropriate. THEN you make your work-holding jigs then......and so it goes on....next is to figure out how to project an accurate left/right laser line (not so easy) I would certainly recommend it...

I see what you mean. But am I right in thinking that the most common joibts can be made without buying other add on templates.

thecoder":1c2wyl0z said:
ankledeep":1c2wyl0z said:

I see what you mean. But am I right in thinking that the most common joibts can be made without buying other add on templates.

Yes
mortice and tenons ,dovetails, sliding dovetails ,finger joints , half laps etc etc
can all be done with out having to make or buy anything else .
There are jigs out there for holding thin pieces , Angled pieces or batch machining etc etc but its as simple to make your own on a as you need to basis

Roger

Had mine years. It did nothing for the first year, then I took a one day course and since then I have used it for countless tasks. For me the real advantage is that work is not held in ones fingers, it is nearly always clamped. It is excellent for grooving/rebating panels eg jewellery box components when the wood is held on a supplementary table. It cuts excellent finger joints, even ply if sacrificial packing pieces are employed. The ability to climb cut is a revaluation. The work is held so firmly that I have inadvertently routed iron 'G' clamps without realising it! I am not keen on the brush idea for running long pieces of wood under the cutter, a table is better in my opinion. Like most routers, dust is a problem, particularly when using a supplementary table or jig. Adels web site is a must.

The American copy misses the point - the 'Rat was designed to work to a sharp pencil line, hence its construction. If you want precision extruded aluminium sections as in the 'Rat are not the way to go, for that you need linear or machined bearings with properly adjustable tolerances.

Bob

Back