Woodrat Judder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have had a woodrat about a year now and I have always have had considerable carriage judder when tracking L/R. It is worse when the carriage is over to the right.

In the past it has not really bothered me too much but I am starting to use the Woodrat more and more and it is proving a pain. It would more correctly be termed stiction (I think that is how you spell it) Basically the carriage does not move smoothly.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I have tried an number of normally very effective fixes:
- Lubrication - PTFE on the carriage
- Damn good talking to
- I have waved my engineer ticket at it (That is usually reserved for major problems)
- Perused the Leigh catalogue in full view of the Woodrat

Gareth

Hello Agrajag
Don't have a rat so can't help on that score.
What caught my eye was your cures expecially the one "Damn good talking to"
I have used this one several times. It has never worked for me, yet I still continually use it :D

On second thought if this envolves a threaded rod, you might try to polish the threads. I would use some steel wool held tightly to the threads and then crank the handle.
Welcome to the forum and good luck on the cure. Maybe some of the ratty people will come along soon with the correct answer. :twisted:

Travis

Hi Agrajag,

This is from the WoodRat web site:

Juddering Bar
The Bar should run with silky smoothness. If it judders, lubricate the slideway with silicone or ptfe dry lubricant. If it still judders, try loosening the tension on the wire.

I asume you put the ptfe on the slideway with it extended all the way to one end, extend it fully to the other and then lube again?

If so, it looks like you should slightly loosen the tension.

Let us know how you progress.

Alternatively, you can wind the extrusion fully out one way, and with a screwdriver, carefully prize up the white plastic "strip" that is exposed, do this (I think) top and bottom. With it flapping about, gently wind the carriage back in, and it'll pull the plastic in just enough to bed firmly into the slot in the main unit. Then repeat the process by winding out to the other side, popping out the white strip top and bottom and then gently winding it back in. Mike Humphries said some of the units have this pushed in too deep, and this ensures equal friction resistance as you travel east-west.

Adam

I have done as ordered and there does seem to be quite a bit of improvement. Silky smoothness is not quite the word I would use. Although it is better.

I will keep you all posted on progress.

Thanks for the help.

Gareth

Back