Woodrat Dovetail Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have followed with interest the discussions (arguments? :D ) over the years about which is best, a Woodrat or a good dovetail (and other) jigs.

The 'rat advert in the latest F&C magazine explains that they are developing a new accessory - a Dovetail Jig !!

:shock:

This seems to be backtracking in a big way.

(To be fair - and who wants to be? - they do explain it is for the professional workshop).

Blue touchpaper lit, I will now retire - Roy

Mmm, I noticed that. I was a bit surprised no-one had mentioned it in fact. :lol: 'Course, the 'Rat isn't a dovetail jig and doesn't just do dovetails. In many workshops it doesn't hardly ever seem to do dovetails at all...

Cheers, Alf

JFC":2wykjpvp said:
So what does the RAT do ?

What is that a challenge? :lol: 8) So far mine has done: dovetails, sliding dovetail, mortices, tenons, angled tenons, doweling, cutting trenches (with the grain on long pieces), and dados (i.e. across the grain,) on long pieces, finger joints, shouldered mortices, raised panels, squaring end grain (pre tablesaw), lap joints, moulding a profile (like you'd get from a spindle moulder), although takes many passes). Its done things individually and in batches. I've cut notches and made recesses. Overall then, I use it for all the things you'd use a router table for (raised panels etc), and all the things people buy jigs for (i.e. finger/dovetail joints). I also like to climb cut with it. I'm sure I'll think of some more, just what jumps to mind immediately.

Adam

Woodythepecker":1g8fbpro said:
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a Woodrat? :roll: :lol:

Regards

Woody

Have a look at http://www.woodrat.com/
This will give you the manufactures information.
Then come back to this forum and do a search for "Woodrat"
That will explain all !! :D

HTH John
(who should be at Tools 2005 but couldn't make it at the last minute :( :(

At last someone has told me what this rat does . Shame i didn't get one before the spindle moulder , router table and ......... Legacy :twisted: But i dont think anything router based will be able to compare to a spindle moulder .
Still , i don't like the fact that im the only one without a rat as i do like to have a tool for every occasion :D But if i buy the rat then its another router and more cutters :shock: I think ill buy a rat :lol:

JFC":2j53nhi4 said:
Still , i don't like the fact that im the only one without a rat as i do like to have a tool for every occasion But if i buy the rat then its another router and more cutters I think ill buy a rat

Definitely not the only one without a RAT. I'd like to add that the RAT slope can be worse than the plane slope, be careful. :lol: :lol:

I could not get a decent demo of the RAT at Tools 2005 because one of the demonstrators seemed to know very little - he could not answer a lot of the RAT users questions and I assume the other guy was the owner and he was busy most of the time. In the end I bought a DVD for £5 so as to get a good demo. The two old guys at Leigh were much better - they had the time and knowledge. The used the Festool 1000W router and it looks good for the job but what a price.

must admit ive been considering the woodrat as my first new toy for my new workshop, might have to buy that dvd and have a look

Hi Barry

Barry Burgess":3md4s4m8 said:
In the end I bought a DVD for £5 so as to get a good demo.

I think you might be disappointed. The biggest problem they have is not being able to demonstrate the product clearly. Your best bet is to visit someone who has one. :roll:

Barry Burgess":3md4s4m8 said:
The two old guys at Leigh were much better - they had the time and knowledge.

You really shouldn't talk about Martin and Keith like that. :lol:

Seriously though, the Leigh is a fabulous piece of kit for cutting repeatable dovetails. Set up is mostly by eye. The quality of the product just shines through.

Cheers
Neil

Back