WoodRat - does it replace a Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

74extiger

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got my WoodRat here in California. There are many WR owners on this UK Forum I'm told.

Will I also need a regular Router Table alongside? I will be doing lots of small boxes at first, then cabinet work and finally —if I can learn— chairs on furniture such as hutches and tables.

You can tell that my experience is limited. Thus the questions.

Gary Curtis - Trinity County California :wink: [[/b]

Hi Gary
Welcome to the Forum!
I have a Littlerat-I love it and use it a lot. But I still use my router table for some jobs. For some jobs its easy to use the table. (it doesn't have to be anything flashy, just a simple table and fence)
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Gary, welcome!

Like Philly, either a shaper (ok, ok, spindle moulder :lol: ) or router table will still be useful.

For what you are describing your work will be it will be useful on cabinet parts, possibly even a second router for out of table use, too, on the cabinets.

But the 'Rat is very versatile. Other than handwork, I don't think I've made a box that it wasn't done entirely on the 'Rat--at least as far as joinery, grooving for top/bottom panels, and hinges are concerned.

Again, welcome.
Mike

Hi gary

Welcome to the forum, can't help you with your question because I don't belong to the select ratters club, I'm a ***** man

:D :D :D

Thanks to all. And Alf, I read that previous thread on the WR. It covered everything. Literally.

Since I just acquired a Glue Joint bit, Tongue & Groove bits, 45 Locking Mitre bit, and 3 Vertical Panel raisers, the need for a Router Table seems obvious.

While waiting for my shop to be constructed I've watched the DVD demo with Mr. Godfrey over and over. So I think I know where to apply the WR.

I had hoped my investment in the WR would have been enough to make a well-rounded shop.

The background and experience on this forum impress you, so you can expect me to be back. Especially after I learn a bit about converting trees to sawdust.

Gary Curtis - California :)

I don't have any, but I always assumed vertical panel raising bits would be easier to use in the 'Rat than a table. Or is there a depth of cut a problem? :-k

Cheers, Alf

Alf":rfqvccow said:
I don't have any, but I always assumed vertical panel raising bits would be easier to use in the 'Rat than a table. Or is there a depth of cut a problem? :-k
Cheers, Alf
I wouldn't try a horizontal panel raising bit because of the force it would apply to the board, but I have used the vertical bit below from LV.

Any vertical bit that is not longer than the depth of cut as dictated by the amount of plunge (minus a little) the router has will work. Other than not using the mortise rail (which works fine also with a straight bit as shown in the manual) it was a snap.

16j6353bh.jpg

Back