Woodrat button position

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've owned a Woodrat for about a year now and have made some excellent dovetails using the technique described in the manual.

However I'm now trying to make some small dovetails using the 12mm cutter and find that the button position (49) causes the front of the router base to hit the button stop block before the cutter has barely entered the wood. I'm using a Bosche router with the flat at the rear.

Also I've noiticed that if the button position is too far back, the locking block on the back side of the button plate is barely in contact with the narrow part of the channel and therefore cannot be set.

I'm mystified at present. :(

Can't quite visualise this yet - its not to do with the mounting holes you are using to mount the plate to the main chassis is it? Hasn't it got some slots and some other holes - to allow it to be mounted in various positions relative to the front face? Would that affect the position of the buttons?

Adam

waterhead37":xiy2p2aj said:
John,

In which position is the router plate? you might need to move it to a set of holes closer to the back of the machine.

Ahh, thats what I meant, but couldn't properly put into words without a unit in front of me to work out if it needed to go forwards ot backwards!! :oops:

Adam

Alf":o5cm0udh said:
Oh, and welcome to the forum, John. :D Cheers, Alf

Gosh, must be asleep today - didn't even notice it was a first time post!

Welcome to the forum also!

Adam

waterhead37":1sboljsv said:
John,

In which position is the router plate? you might need to move it to a set of holes closer to the back of the machine.

You have to adjust the position of the button plate you are referencing against - according to the little diagram on it - which indicates which set of holes you are using don't you?

Adam

Adam":y1p11xt2 said:
You have to adjust the position of the button plate you are referencing against - according to the little diagram on it - which indicates which set of holes you are using don't you?
Yep, I think so. Gosh it's a long time since I did any dovetails on the 'Rat. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":19dqotsz said:
Gosh it's a long time since I did any dovetails on the 'Rat. :oops: Cheers, Alf

Ditto, its the curse of trying to learn hand tool skills. Jigs* and thingys get left unused.

Adam

*Well except the 'rat of course 'cos I use it for loads of other things. Like angled tenons the other day. Those one trick ponies like the Leigh end up gathering dust no doubt :lol: :lol:

Many thanks to all for your replies. However I've been down the route of moving the fore and aft holes positioning. I suspect I might have to turn my router around so that the flat in the base is at the front. But then that puts the depth stop at the back . . .

I'm off to the Axminster show next week so I'll consult the Oracle ! ! !

John Churchill":2fin9762 said:
I suspect I might have to turn my router around so that the flat in the base is at the front.

How about drilling a couple of new holes for the router - offset slightly. The manual details drilling the base - something I had to do as I have a Mafell Pistol Grip router and it doesn't have standard "Elu" size mounting holes.

Adam

You know this problem is ringing bells with me; I have a feeling something like it has come up before possibly on the Woodrat forum. IIRC the suggestion was to saw off the protruding block of the centre button - so off-setting some holes for mounting the router sounds a potentially better idea! :shock:

Which day are you going to the show, John? The UK Workshop traditional point of meeting is 12 noon at Chestnut Products on each day, so feel free to say "howdy" if you feel brave. :D

Adam":svb2y4x7 said:
Those one trick ponies like the Leigh end up gathering dust no doubt :lol: :lol:
Snigger :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi John, and welcome!

I use the method found on Aldel's web site, found here.

Got to the Through Dovetails link.

My router, a Festool 2000, has a plate too large. Rather than remounting the router or cutting anything off, I reasoned that the button is just a pivot. Once I got the hang of doing them this way, it is quick and easy to set up.

Then when I found Aldel had posted this method, I figured I wasn't too crazy. Just a tad...but not too much :lol:

Again, welcome.

Mike

Back