WoodRat and curved rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
If any of you WoodRat users are interested, I have had a chat with John Bailey and F&CM and had permission to upload some details of John's curved rails. There is also a picture of a novel scraper holder.
It can found on the Feedback3 page herehttp://www.aldel.co.uk

Regards Aldel :D

Nice one Alan!
A great idea!
Where can you get some Tufnol from? (And wasn't that the guitarist from Spinal Tap? :roll: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly,
its very expensive stuff and can be found at electrical wholesalers, metal suppliers Radio spares and such like. Much better to source as scrap. (It looks like John did) Its used for mounting switchgear on electrical panels etc.
Probably much, much cheaper to buy a new WoodRat plate and modify that.
By the way did you try the wind screen wash trick?

cheers Aldel

Hi Philly

Philly":mfq1n1m9 said:
Where can you get some Tufnol from?

I bought quite a large "scrap" piece for about ten pounds from a plastics company.

I did some searching on the 'net and then got on the phone. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Trend do clear & solid template material which may do the job. Another option would be an off cut of Corian, the guy I get my corian work done by filled a whole mini skip with bits a few months ago :(

Jason

I was just reading that article last night. Very clever, and it just so happens that I have a "spare" 'Rat plate. Wonder how terrifying it is to do in practice...? :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I have used this method many times over the years to "scope" out material to make this kind of curve, except I don't have a Rat.
I just make a jig that looks almost identical out of MDF and ride this E/W on batons that are just proud of the blank I am shaping.
Not a great description, but hopefully you know what I mean!

Stool.jpg

This stool seat was made in this way, after a design by Gary Rogowski

What a great idea to adapt it for the rat. I don't know much about it, but this must make it very versatile indeed!

One of my first pieces was a stool that I made from some magazine article, where the top was scooped out in a similar manner with the addition wrinkle that the seat blank was mounted on a pin, so that it could rotate. The scooping was thus a circular depression deeper at the middle.

Your stool looks a lot prettier than mine Aragorn!

Latest posts

Back