Woodie Scrub Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I happened to be in Pennyfarthing Tools, Salisbury yesterday :lol: and picked up a wood scrub plane. Take a look.
scrub1.jpg

scrub2.jpg

scrub3.jpg

it is stamped with "joh Weiss", don't know if anyone can fill me in on it's history?. The sole was a little warped so I dressed that out. The iron needed 10 minutes work and the wooden wedge was warped so I tweaked. that. It worked just fine-tore up a plank of oak like it was'nt there! Evil!
Cost-£7.50. Even the Missus was happy!
best regards,
Philly :D

Wolfgang's site to the rescue! :D Nice gloat, especially if the missus was happy too... :shock:

philly":13vfeq60 said:
I happened to be in Pennyfarthing Tools, Salisbury yesterday
That stinks. D'you have any idea how long I've been trying to get there? :cry:

Cheers, Alf

D'oh. Which was the page I thought I was linking to... :roll: 'Scuse me while I just go and do a little editing... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the info Teamsters!
Alf, Pennyfarthing was a nice lil shop-a good range of stuff and pretty good prices too. Worth a trip if you "just happen to be in the area" :lol:
So was £7.50 a good price? I think so.
(I've noticed the more planes I get the quicker I can evaluate and tweak whatever necessary to get it working nice. Experience, huh!)
cheers
P.s. have recently got an E-bay account-plough plane for £5.19 on the way. Also, Steve Knight Toolworks maple/purpleheart smoother on the way too. (Am I getting better with my gloats Alf?)

Philly

With all these extra planes you'll be looking for a bigger workshop.

Good gloat, wonder if i can find any good shops in the jungle?

Waka

Philly,

Some great gloats there man! Scrubs , Knight Smoothers (gotta be good with that name!!) ploughs and a unisaw somewhere on the high seas.

I shall have to brush up on my gloatish skills..

Chris,
I bow before your Princely Gloats! But with the help of yourself and the good folk on this forum I am slowly gathering pace :lol:
best regards

I've noticed the more planes I get the quicker I can evaluate and tweak whatever necessary to get it working nice.

On that logic, I should be very very quick indeed.

BugBear

I would like to add some information on the patent stamp. It mentions two patents, issued in Austria ("K.K.OEST. PATENT No. 42079" -> "Kaiserlich königlich österreichisches Patent No. 42079") and Hungary ("KGL.UNG. PATENT No. 48559" -> "Königlich ungarisches Patent No. 48559"). I don't know about the Hungarian patent, but the Austrian patent was issued in 1910 and is about the dome shaped heel of the plane, to make it more comfortable to use and to prevent splitting when setting the blade with a hammer.

Wolfgang, who just returned from his holidays in England (including visits of Salisbury and Sheffield)

Wolfgang,
Many thanks for the information!
I was using the plane on the weekend-it works a treat! I do love woodies :D
regards

Back