Woodford Woodworking & e-Bay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete L

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so please can someone explain: -

1. Is the site linked in any way to Woodford Woodworking ?.

Sorry if that is a daft question but I found out about and joined this forum via that site and whilst there seems some respect for their products there are also some interesting citicisms e.g "poor Instruction Manual with blurred pictures", "items in illustrations not as per the mechine supplied" etc.
&
2. Is buying on e-Bay to be recommended ?.

The Triton routers from NI seems an interesting topic although there seems to be a suggestion that all the goods have been "borrowed on a long term loan" from local B&Q stores.

Being an 'old fart' I've not used e-Bay yet but my son is a fan.

cheers, Pete L :wink:

Pete L":172rpz78 said:

No. The site is independent. I believe there are a few users on here who have purchased from Woodford but certainly they are outnumbered by users of several other brands, (Jet, Scheppach, Axminster, Elektra Beckem etc to name but a few).

I'd reckon the comments add up to a fairly accurate view once you get 5-10 users on here commenting on a product, (who actually own it).

Pete L":172rpz78 said:

It's a personal choice, some people have absolute disasters, but for every one of them, I seem to know at least 10 that seem happy.

Basically its a transaction between strangers, without having seen the goods "in the flesh". Ebay do their best to help, but its a personal risk assesment in the end. I, personally, have not bought anything "new" on ebay ever. Just regular second hand items as you'd find at a car boot sale. Similarly, I never buy the new cheap grotty tools from car boots you often see being sold by traders.

Adam

Newbie_Neil":318g83lx said:
Hi Pete

Pete L":318g83lx said:

No. There is a link from their site, in the same way that other sites link here.

Pete L":318g83lx said:

Buyer beware.

Cheers
Neil

Doh! You said exactly the same as me in about 10% of the words!

No wonder noone asks me to write reports at work!

Adam

I've bought loads of stuff from e-bay,never had a problem.
From drill bits to cordless drills - my best advice is to buy from a trader with good feedback (a lot of people make a living from it now),and set yourself a limit!
It's easy to get carried away bidding - often see people paying higher prices than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Andrew

Pete L":c9wbzb1g said:

The Triton routers from NI seems an interesting topic although there seems to be a suggestion that all the goods have been "borrowed on a long term loan" from local B&Q stores.
:
I have had mostly good experience with only one transaction going very wrong and Paypal gave me back about £125 of the £200 I paid as the software had expired and could only be used it the date was set back on the PC.
I have bought loads of Dewalt from a USA site that advertises on Ebay UK.
Most are half price when compared to the best UK prices but they do not have the CE certification.
Bought 10"Dewalt" jigsaw blades for about £5 which were fakes.
I bought 2 Triton routers and traced the source with the aid of Triton UK and got them to accept the warwarranty

Barry Burgess":3ipjsowt said:
Pete L":3ipjsowt said:

:
I have had mostly good experience with only one transaction going very wrong and Paypal gave me back about £125 of the £200 I paid as the software had expired and could only be used it the date was set back on the PC.
I have bought loads of Dewalt from a USA site that advertises on Ebay UK.
Most are half price when compared to the best UK prices but they do not have the CE certification.
Bought 10"Dewalt" jigsaw blades for about £5 which were fakes.
I bought 2 Triton routers and traced the source with the aid of Triton UK and got them to accept the warwarranty

Would the USA Company you bought the DeWalt from be NEPINE by any chance ?. I've logged a query on the General Woodworking forum about this organisation because the prices looked good. The replies were all wise words about the risks, 110v problems, buyer beware etc.
I'll probably give eBay a try ... PayPal (it says) refund in full if goods don't arrive or not as described.
cheers, Pete

Pete L":3v692bua said:
Barry Burgess":3v692bua said:
Pete L":3v692bua said:

Would the USA Company you bought the DeWalt from be NEPINE by any chance ?. I've logged a query on the General Woodworking forum about this organisation because the prices looked good. The replies were all wise words about the risks, 110v problems, buyer beware etc.
I'll probably give eBay a try ... PayPal (it says) refund in full if goods don't arrive or not as described.
cheers, Pete
They call themselves dewalt tools from the USA.
I have been buying all the 18volt cordless including batteries as i have a UK charger.

Back