Woodford Unisaw Clone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just thought I'd update you on my latest purchase (attempt :lol: )
I have been saving up for my dream tablesaw, a Unisaw. Now, I know what your all thinking, Philly's a Norm Nutter, etc. I really want one, and after testing most things on the market have decided thats what I want.
Woodford (www.woodfordwm.co.uk) import a Unisaw clone under the Xcaliber name, the 12 inch version was reviewed recently in GWW. The 10 inch version is the one I want. I spoke to the helpful chap on the phone, had a long chat about the saw and he told me to place my order online. 5 minutes later, order placed. Now I was already told it was out of stock and on order from the factory (just down the road in Taiwan!!!!). Still I was happy to place my order and wait.
Yesterday morning an envelope arrived containing a check to cover my order. They told me they didn't feel it was fair to hold onto my money whilst they await delivery of the saw. Hows that for service? :shock: When the saw arrives they will call me and I can pay them then.
I will keep you up to date with events as they occur!
regards,
Philly :D

Good news Philly. Isn't this the saw Scrit had a butchers at sometime last year? Looks like good spec too, 3 HP, stacked dado capable with a 5/8ths arbour, Biesmeyer clone fence too and proper sized table slots. Can throughly recommend a Freud 608 8" kit with 4 wing chippers and a decent mitre gauge (just got the JDS Accu-mitre). Keep up to date on progress.

Rgds

Noel

Noely,
Got me all excited now!
Yes, that's the one. Man at Woodford said it is made in the factory that makes the Jet Xacta and General/Grizzly saws.
More info on the mitre gauge please!
(and lets keep quiet on the d#d# or people round here might revolt! :shock: )
cheers,

Philly,

What an excellent start to your dealings with them! I'm sure that's a good omen. :D Now do enjoy having all 10 digits while you can, won'tcha? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Philly, just to get you a little bit excited, here's the JDS Accu-mitre
noel157-IMG_0008JDS.jpg

For those of a sensitive nature, please hide behind the couch....
noel157-IMG_0011608.jpg

The mitre gauge is brillant once set up and dead on accurate 90 / 45 etc cuts are so easy to do and it fits straight in a 5/8th T slot and has nylon adjusters to ensure a snug, slop free fit.

I'll not mention how good the dado kit is....

Rgds

Noel

oh Noely,
Tis great to have someone I can talk to who isn't scremish!
Love the look of the mitre gauge-where did you get it from?
As to the d#d#-is that the Machine Mart one?
Alas, it could be 14 weeks for my saw. They are awaiting a container load and it is somewhere mid-ocean.
best (10 fingered) regards,
(who isn't considering growing a beard but may purchase a plaid shirt if it gets cold enough :lol: )

Noely,
The Machine mart one does come in a 5/8 fitting. £85 ish. How much did you pay for yours. And, incidently, where did you get your saw from?

5/8ths ? Didn't know that.
I got it brought in from the States couple of years ago. You know what's it's like - spend big dough on something, may as well get a few extra bits and pieces as well. So got the dado head, Freud rip blade and 60 tooth laminate blade too. Also the Delta tenoning jig as well. Think the dado head was about $180 at the time. Quite fancy the newer Freud Dial a Width model but can't see me getting it.
One thing I did get was a link belt to replace the ordinary rubber item. Big difference and the saw has no difficulty passing the nickel / 5p test.
Once you get your saw we can have an indepth discussion on various matters......................................................

Rgds

Noel

Philly,
the woodford saw looks a superb deal and it looks very close to my unisaw spec wise and looks wise, woodford normally have the saws sold before they arrive in the UK so putting your name on the list will keep them coming. Onceyou get it how about a review.

Unisaws are available in the UK and have been for sometime with 50hz UK spec motors as well as Tru-cut inserts, osborne EB3's, jack-rabbit bits, avail from Daniel Holton [email protected]

but due to our import and vat duties they are quite expensive but if its what you want then its here and available now.

You could import yourself, its not difficult

but with the woodford clones now available is it worth the hassle

hope the saw arrives soon Philly

Enjoy
Ian

Hi Ian,

Haven't seen or spoken to Daniel for a while although daresay I'll see him at Tools 2004. Him and Norm still big buddys? For those that don't know when he heard that Norm was coming to Tools 2003 he emailed him out of the blue and invited him to his workshop near Tiverton and promised him some cream tea and other local specialities. Didn't hear anything back for a month or so and then one Saturday there was a knock on the door and guess who was there? True story and no doubt the locals are still talking about it. Think I have a picture somewhere.
BTW I looked at the Osborne EB3 and although I liked the design, just thought it was a bit lightweight, hence the Accu-Miter purchase. Have you bothered about an after market mitre guage?

Rgds

Noel

Noel wrote:-
BTW I looked at the Osborne EB3 and although I liked the design, just thought it was a bit lightweight, hence the Accu-Miter purchase

Hey, how dare you call my EB3 lightweight!!! :D

Seriously though, I find it very accurate and well made. Perhaps I should get the digi camera out and do a review. What it is that you thought was lightweight about it Noel?

John

Noel,
Nows theres a good thread to start Aftermarket Mitre Guages what do you use.
I have had the Incra 1000 but it got crushed whilst i wasnt paying attentionon one day (dont ask) i then had the osborne EB2 which wouldnt cut square and wasnt ajustable to correct this i then got the EB3 which is the best i have ever used and definately not lightweight.
The accu-mitre looks good too, i hardly ever use the mitre saw now because i know how accurate the eb3 is and its got good length stops

Daniel is a lovely block and was a bit stunned when norm appeared. i shared a stage with norm and found him to be a lot smaller than i thought he was, i know he has shrunk with losing weight but he was still smaller
lovely block with more apprentices than anyone i know
cheers
Ian

Ian Dalziel":2mv9g041 said:
i shared a stage with norm
Did you make it past the indians, okay? Bet the safety glasses came in handy with all those arrows flying about... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

<Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the Deadwood Stage is c'ming along the tr-ack... Whip crack-away, whip crack-away etc etc>

John, Ian,

Picture and review then, please. and I'll try to do one on mine. Lightweight was perhaps the wrong term.....As I mentioned I think the design is excellent but were'nt there some issues about it being a bit bendy when the extension was being used? Maybe not. Just fancied the added weight of the Accu-miter, 11 Ibs I think. End of the day as long as we've all got something we're happy with.

Rgds

Noel

Humph, all this talk of proper saws :twisted: jealous me :shock:

I have the beard but not the shirt, I going out to the workshop to throw a blanket over the B&Q saw. :oops:

Back