Woodford 802 views

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jel

Reaction score
I've been a long time lurker of this forum, and have finally joined. And would like to thank you all for the amount of info I have been able to get. Plus it gives me something of interest to read while I'm at work.

My first post however seems to be on the verge of an area done to death. The table saw decision!

I am considering the purchase of a woodford 802, the baby of the family so to speak. Most of the posts that i've read through seem more to do with the 802's big brother the 806 cabinet saw. Although I may wish, space and budget just do not allow.

I was just wondering if anyone had any views on the smaller US contractor style saws woodford have. Any views, owner opinions and info gratefully received.

Or even if anyone knows of any other place that does these type of saws.

Cheers

Jel

Hi Jel

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with the 802 but there are a number of companies that produce the similar style saws. Scheppach and Jet, for instance.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":334m2n6s said:
...I hope this doesn't smell of grannies and eggs, but you should be aware that the contractor style saw is designed for site work and will not necessarily give you the accuracy that you require for furniture making.
Cheers
Neil
Hi Neil, I hope you take this in the spirit it is meant, but sure you can.
You'd be amazed (shocked?) at what I use to make a living with!

Your avatar uses a pic of the Jet SuperSaw. I realize that it is an improved version of the type, but that is all it is, a contractor saw.

I am not familiar with the saw mentioned by the OP, but most saws can be used, especially by non-fulltime woodworkers.

Hi Mike

MikeW":1nye1khv said:
You'd be amazed (shocked?) at what I use to make a living with! Your avatar uses a pic of the Jet SuperSaw. I realize that it is an improved version of the type, but that is all it is, a contractor saw.

No problem. It's all down to me and terminology. :oops:

This is the Scheppach tku http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/prod ... uctID=2030

Having had a look at the 802 on the Woodford site it seems to be a substantial saw.

Cheers
Neil

Think we're mixing up contractors saws and site saws. The Scheppach is a site saw (tin or alloy table with motor slung below) and the Woodford, I assume, is a contractors saw with the motor hanging out of the back and the trunions attached to the cast iron table same as the Delta and Jet models so common in the States.
Noel

This recent thread on the 805 posed a problem with trying to have the fence on the other side of the blade. The 802 picture on their site looks similar.

Might be worth bearing in mind.

Gav

Thanks Gav for the heads up on that potential problem.

Though might not be an issue, as I could always get/make some longer rails, or fit the biesemeyer clone fence system I made for my previous saw.

I was considering the 804 with the biesemeyer clone. But I thought the extra £130 for a fence that I've already made a copy of myself, and cast wings would be a waste. Other than the fence and the wings are there any other differences between the 802 and the 804?

I have noticed with the 804 you can have left or right tilt, which it doesn't talk about for the 802, a point worth clarifying with woodford maybe.

Anyone got the 802 and wished they got the 804/805 with the cast iron wings, because of the steel wings?

Also I've noticed from the extended woodford description it says the motors come prewired for 115v. Is this true or do woodford sort this out prior to shipping them in the UK, or would I have to sort this out. I can't see the latter being true, and all Woodford have done is copy the description from the Taiwan manufactors. Though it is probably another point worth clarifying with woodford.

Jel

jel i got the 805 nice saw solid c/i top c/i wing and a sliding left hand table . if i was going to get a saw now i would go for the 804 with the c/i wings i looked at the 802 but the tin wings put me off getting it . i have modified my saw ,i made a new fence by putting some wood to the front and the back a sort of mini besy, the blade guard and splitter i took of and replaced with a perspex guard with a dust connection on the top with a new splitter .i have got to fit a safety switch . plus i have made a few jigs to go on the saw . woodford saws can take a dado but you must make a guard to suit the cutter they dont come with a nvr switch and are not braked mine will stop about in about 10 secs . with a dado i dont know how long it will take it is a very quite machine when running and cutting . i dont have to wear ear defenders any more :D

Back