Woodfest Yesterday (2nd May)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Went up to the Woodfest ar St Asaph yesterday....talk about temptation. I could have bought a Walnut trunk if I'd been able to transport it. One guy had loads of burrs of all sizes from oak, elm, sycamore, ash and goodness knows what else. Another had loads of offcuts of things like elm, yew and walnut. Disciplined myself until I got to the Husqvarna site where they were selling chainsaws £50 off. Oops....resistance gone. Also got a 1" skew for £7, needs a decent handle but that's no problem. Some lovely stuff there, a few pole lathe turners, the NW Turners Association and loads more. Really worth going to.

Glad you enjoyed your day out, which project out of all the 'must try that one' camp is next on your list.

Bodrighy wrote
St Asaph
Is this local to you Pete.
Yep you could spend a fortune at these places.
So you've bought yourself a chainsaw. :shock: Watch out Exmoor :D
Glad you enjoyed yourself.
Paul.J.

I should have said where I was, you could have introduced yourself Pete. Glad you enjoyed it, that was some drive from Exmoor wasn't it?

Just got home a couple of hours ago after spending the three days demonstrating with other club members on our club stand in the Northern Federation marque.

It is a good show, but very tiring, our club has been showing there for the last 4 years.

None of us won anything this time though. :cry:

Amendment;- One of our turner/carvers, A Garfield won first in the carving section.

CHJ":19ruwtpn said:
Glad you enjoyed your day out, which project out of all the 'must try that one' camp is next on your list.
I've got some large (4' x 3') lumps of ash from storm damage. Now I have a chain saw I can cut it down and hopefully make some big bowls or platters. Also need to chat up the local farmer, he has a huge (60') beech that's been down for at least 2 years and is covered in burrs. Might be able to get some bits off it if he is willing. The NW group had a lot of chairs and stools which looked worth a try as well. with 9 grandchildren there's a ready market (albeit free :lol: ) for them.

Pete

TEP":1pbjgo0j said:
Just got home a couple of hours ago after spending the three days demonstrating with other club members on our club stand in the Northern Federation marque.

It is a good show, but very tiring, our club has been showing there for the last 4 years.

None of us won anything this time though. :cry:

Which club are you in

Hi Russell.

Club, WoodArt Workshops. We are a bunch of turners and carvers who meet at Hawarden North Wales on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month. Strictly a hands on club, no demonstrators. Although we do have the occasional demo on a Saturday, but up until now the club meetings are sacrosanct for making shaving.

I'm sure it's a grandmothers and eggs thing, Pete, but make d**n sure you've got a decent helmet, face shield and leg protectors before you go mad with that chainsaw..... :?

dickm":2jh8hotu said:
I'm sure it's a grandmothers and eggs thing, Pete, but make d**n sure you've got a decent helmet, face shield and leg protectors before you go mad with that chainsaw..... :?

Thanks, it never hurts to be reminded. Damn dangerous things if you get base with them. I used to use one a lot when I managed an estate in Cornwall. I had enough close calls there to last me a lifetime clearing scrub and dead branches. I must admit, when I started thinking of getting one I was surprised that I didn't have to have a license unless it was a one handed one.

The local press say over 25,000 attended the WoodFest over the three days.

With all the disappointing reviews of shows like Stoneleigh and Woodex perhaps this is the way to go in the future, by offering something (entertainment) for the whole family.

If the major manufacturers could be brought in to such an event it could be massive.

One of the things that I liked most about Woodfest was the rich variety there, Turrning clubs to travellers making flowers, Chainsaw sculpture to 2nd hand tools and wood. Aded to that were the educational areas where kids could have a go at pyrography and other things and the other craft areas as well that appealed to others.

Pete.

that sounds like a good day out! I am sure there MUST be things in Yorkshire, but I don't really find out about them. they are all miles away! :cry:

Hi Mrs S.

Have a look at the 'Woodwoeking shows' sticky in this forum, there may be somethng near you in there, alternativley Google 'woodturning,' then at the bottom in 'search within results' type 'shows,' there are loads on throughout the summer.

Pete

I DID find two big shows in the area sept and Nov in Pickering and Harrogate. Unfotunatly it is just sliver that can go!! not myself! as they say there is something for all!! and they have a weekend of knitting, embroidery and cross stich for the ladies!! so I can't 'rip no wood' I have to do my needlepoint! :shock:

Back