Wooden Wardrobe Door & Drawer Handles - how to make?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am making a built in wardrobe for my teenage daughter and am about to start on the doors and drawers, so have been thinking about handles. The doors and drawer fronts will be oak. As I have a piece of American Black Walnut I was hoping to make some handles from this.

However as I am not a turner I will need to use a router to shape the handles.

Does anyone have a nice design and know how to do this with a router please?

Here are some I made from ABW

IMG_1241.jpg

Cut on the table saw with about a 10 degree taper on 4 faces and a quick whizz on the router table to give a 4mm bead to further improve grip.

I've not got a closer view but this shows the colour contract after oiling

IMG_1481.jpg

Any good?

Bob

Bob

My daughter has said that she feels that your handles are "too square" to use her words. She says she would like something more rounded. Thanks for the helpful response.

Guess I could play around with the router, but has anyone done a more rounded door / drawer handle and how did they do it please?

Charlie Woody":39qsezyl said:
Bob

My daughter has said that she feels that your handles are "too square" to use her words. She says she would like something more rounded. Thanks for the helpful response.

Guess I could play around with the router, but has anyone done a more rounded door / drawer handle and how did they do it please?

Ask your client to sketch out the shape she'd prefer and base your final design upon that. There are quite a number of possibilities, including circular and tear drop shapes in order to avoid "too square" an appearance, but most will be based around guides and templates.

Back