Wooden trays in the fridge - trying to get organised

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Mrs has a thing for condiments, and the blooming fridge is full of them, could I make some trays so sit on the shelves from oak or walnut or something (I have that available) to make some trays glued up with Titebond3

Was thinking basic tray, with mitred corners, groove for a floating base (either hardwood or ply) and splines in the mitres and coating in OSMO PolyX - Wasn't sure if the temperature would have any ill effect?

I would think you will be OK with the glue in a fridge, the Trawlers in days gone by used wooden boxes in the freezers and whatever wood they were made from did not seem to be affected by the temp's. Not sure how Oak or Walnut will fare but can't see any reason why they would not be suitable, might i suggest a wipe on food safe oil that can be refreshed as and when required.

Was offered a couple many years ago but 5 mins in the back of the car and i have to admit i left then at a service station car park, i drove home with all the windows down and the smell lingered on faintly for several weeks :eek:

There should be a market for ordinary domestic stuff made of wood instead of plastic. I've made a few simple trays myself and it's really good for using up offcuts, or reclaimed timber. Useful for sorting/storing all sorts of stuff. I'll try them out in the fridge!

It's a very moist environment, and I would expect mould to be a problem if you don't seal them completely. I'm also not sure I would want any hardcore varnish next to my food, certainly not for a few months until the smell of chemicals had abated somewhat.

Have you considered throwing away the condiments? One a day, until the fridge is empty. She'll never notice. Also, quite a lot of jars of stuff don't need to be refrigerated - if it has an excess of sugar, salt , vinegar (or all three), nothing can live in it anyway.

Another option might be a new, more reasonable spouse, but I have noticed most men are reluctant to institute drastic change over trivial living arrangements - women not so much.

Have a look at what you buy food-wise that comes in plastic tubs (preferably square or rectangular) - wash them out . . . and there you have a storage medium that by definition is food safe, and saving the planet at the same time.
Years ago my workshop storage consisted of rectangular ice-cream boxes arranged on shallow shelves.

:) - the new spouse option is risky, although I traded in a 15 year one for a replacement 29 years ago . . . it's going OK, so far!

Whilst some woods have natural antibacterial properties this is a bad environment for it, as previously mentioned.
Keep an eye on your local German supermarket, they have fridge organisers on a regular basis, certainly cheaper than a new wife!

I have a large double fridge, a quarter of it has a glass door and is a wine cooler/ bottle chiller. The wine chiller part has wooden slatted shelves in which look to be untreated Beech. they have had plenty of wine and drink splashed and dripped over them but it has had no ill effect, every now and again they get a good scrub and seem to come up like new. Maybe Beech would be a good choice?

didn't get a reminder for any of these replies, thanks for all the input. I think I'll trawl eBay/amazon for some plastic see-though ones - if not, will look at new wife option o_O

didn't get a reminder for any of these replies, thanks for all the input. I think I'll trawl eBay/amazon for some plastic see-though ones - if not, will look at new wife option o_O

Poundland or B&M stores usually have lots of options - you can see what you're getting, and probably cheaper/better than online.

I've been thinking about this. Firstly, apologies for my previous post. Secondly, wooden boxes in the fridge would look rather smart, so what is the loss if you make a few and they don't work out? Making boxes is always fun, and the very worse case is you take them out of the fridge and have some slightly stained workshop storage.

I say make some and see what happens. Don't put any finish on, and see what happens. Keep us updated on your pickle pot placement problems.

Haha thanks, no need to apologise So are we saying no finish then? wouldn’t the grain be more open to bacteria?

It’s been mentioned that it’s a moist environment a couple of times above but unless I’m mistaken, it’s the opposite- cold air doesn’t hold much moisture at all, so it’s pretty dry.
In terms of bacteria, that’s true to an extent of anything wooden that’s in contact with food, but in this case I’d say far less so than say, a wooden chopping board (particularly one that gets washed in warm water so opening the grain)

I’d say have at it. I’d probably go plastic myself just for ease of cleaning etc but if you fancy wood, then why not.

Poundland or B&M stores usually have lots of options - you can see what you're getting, and probably cheaper/better than online.

You are referring to the trays aren't you, not the other wife option...? 😲 :LOL:

Indeed I am - although at one point I did contemplate changing one 40 year old woman for two 20s 🤔

Now that would be a bold, brave decision. Especially for the wallet. Allegedly a new wife should be half your age plus seven years, but I don't know what happens to the arithmetic if you have more than one of them. Divide and conquer?

About the finish - try without, if you don't fancy funny smells in your fridge. I would probably use my patented olive oil and beeswax paste, because I put it on nearly everything, being a cheapskate (olive oil is "free" and the wax comes direct from the apiarist , so almost free). It's all a bit of an experiment, so have at it.

Latest posts

Back