Wooden Tongue & Groove Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening chaps & chapettes,

I recently came across an interesting wooden T&G plane. Rather than being a matched pair, this was a single plane in two halves. The "groove" side had a skate like a typical plough plane, and the "tongue" side had a shaped sole like a moulding plane. Between the two sides was a common fence. The two sides were arranged to plane in opposite directions (if that makes sense?) so that the fence would always reference from the same side of the stock.

I was very tempted to come home with it but it only came with a single "tongue" iron. The iron was wedge-shaped like a plough iron, so I imagine the "groove" side would be similar and take regular plough irons? What put me off was the availability of "tongue" irons, I have never seen any.

Has anyone ever come across something like this?

Is yours like this?

wood_body_match.jpg

If so, this model was common in France, although the pic shows a Chapin (USA) exemplar.

Ciao,
Giuliano

DTR":ri8r79el said:
...The iron was wedge-shaped like a plough iron, so I imagine the "groove" side would be similar and take regular plough irons? What put me off was the availability of "tongue" irons, I have never seen any.

The iron of these models is different from that of English classic plough. It is tapered in thickness and grooved but has constant width from cutting edge to the other extremity.

2e0usnd.jpg

A plough plane iron, instead, is larger and changes its width only for a couple of inches toward the cutting edge and so would not pass trough the mortise.
Hope this helps

Giuliano

Here's another:

IMG_5390.jpg

Frustratingly, there are no markings on the body or the irons, so I can't even say which country it was from.

It's very tough - I think the whole thing is boxwood - and there is no risk of losing the matching half of the pair!

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

Double-ended match planes do come up on Ebay from time to time.

Stanley used to produce a metal version - 146, 147 & 148 in graduating sizes of board width.

ac445ab":2dehegx1 said:
A plough plane iron, instead, is larger and changes its width only for a couple of inches toward the cutting edge and so would not pass trough the mortise.
Hope this helps

Giuliano

Hmm shame. I would have been tempted to buy it if irons were easy to come by.

Thanks for the info guys :)

Here it is mine. It's a British model from Moore - Liverpool. Goodman book dates the plane between 1828 and 1870.
I had to do some repair (a new wedge also), rust treatment for iron parts and sharpening.
Finally, I enjoyed its matching job.

2ag9h6h.jpg

vexj54.jpg

264m9a9.jpg

rsww02.jpg

33dvxhc.jpg

p.s. do not forget the presence of two irons when you handle the plane (see plaster on my finger :mrgreen: )

Ciao
Giuliano :D

Here's mine, a 5/8" by Griffiths of Norwich; I refer to it as the "push-me pull-you plane" :)

griffithstandg.jpg

Must confess to never using T&G, despite having a number of alternative means to make 'em. Should remedy that really, taking due note of Giuliano's advice vis-a-vis two irons first... :D

Attachments

• griffithstandg.jpg
    griffithstandg.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,443
Nice planes guys and gals....!

What I find most spectacular is your attire during woodworking Giuliano!

Only guy I know who does woodworking is seriously cool Italian shirts! 8) 8) 8)

Jim

jimi43":2sssy5z7 said:
Nice planes guys and gals....!

What I find most spectacular is your attire during woodworking Giuliano!

Only guy I know who does woodworking is seriously cool Italian shirts! 8) 8) 8)

Jim

For Italians the shirt is a must in any occurence.....although by night I prefer a pajamas :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back