Wooden Ships

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that interior. I personally wouldnt choose such an interior design but i can appreciate the work thats gone into that and the level of craftsmanship leaves me in awe, the fold or crease along the wall which disappears with the grain running perfectly is a new level of incredible. The time and effort put in is incredible and I can appreciate this much more than alligator wrapped luggage boxes. (another yacht video i watched recently)

That is not believable. How can you have a yacht of that size with no crew? The whole point of a professional crew is to clean, polish, clean, polish, ... etc. and do it all in a nifty wee white and blue uniform. While smiling and touching forelocks when the owner and wife are around.

Yes its very beautiful & the joinery is stunning, my point was that any boat even if it spends 99% of its time in a marina will one day get caught out in a squall & have to thrash to windward with the lee rail down, some owners like day sailing like this as well!
Doesnt make such huge open plan layouts any less impractical or safe.
I think thats the gig here and the owners only go out in the fine weather(as is their choice)
I unfortunately got stuck with a nutter, and we got another crew member who also turned out to be a nutter(ex Whitbreader) who had all the winches and jammers and such reinforced with stainless steel plates under the deck. We went out all year and some horrible weather. Mind you we did win a shed load of races. but If i had the money such, I'd be like the owner of Spirit 111 and only go out in glorious sunny days and medium to light winds :LOL:

How can you have a yacht of that size with no crew?
Everything runs aft to the cockpit. I dont see a spinnaker being fitted on this boat, just a huge furling gennaker. and probably find the main is in boom reefing too. All done electrically.

Last edited:
It looks bloody gorgeous to me,,the view of the cockpit when the camera drops to deck level is breathtaking, its so bloody big,,and the wheel, what a clever idea,,,its like the various one design boats, the X boats and the like only massively bigger and took some nerve to build I guess,,all talk of practicality, crewquarters and brewing up is missing the point, ifs just a lovely thing that comes alive once the sails are up and thats all there is too it, it has no reason, there is no point,,,other than it is.
Steve,

It’s a toy, not a boat to live on or a machine to race… stunning though.

Racing yachts are beautifully uncluttered, fold down racks and a single burner stove hanging over the toilet directly above the keel, tape handles to hang onto as there’s no floor… crude, but because of the speed you don’t have that long to put up with it.

I love boat fitouts, all the things beautifully fitted into small spaces, good inspiration for small home living. There’s a national trust house just south of Cambridge with a pantry like a yacht, drawers and cupboards floor to ceiling, one of my favourite rooms anywhere
Would you have a link/photo's of that house pantry? :]

Although of course I see how easy it is with everything within reach in the cockpit, but what happens with just the minimal required crew and a bit of the electroniky rigging goeas wrong in bad weather? You've got enough spare sail to carry on once you've got the broken bit tethered???

Back