Wooden Ships

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some outstanding timber work and I am sure the cost would be mind blowing. Being an old seafarer I was impressed with the deck, sailing and engineering layout but the interior just does not look like being on a boat at all. Too much of the rich man's "look what I can afford" statement for my taste. Bit of nice wood panelling, some brass, and fancy ropework is what it needs.
Regards
John

Very beautiful but utterly impractical, acres of space & nowhere to hang onto! Boats jump about & sailing boats lean over, nobody is going below on that if its sailing hard, you would simply hurt yourself flying across the wonderfully designed cabin crashing into things.

I've always thought of yachting as similar to campervanning, except being cold, wet and miserable as well as cramped and uncomfortable. I know people who crew on billionaire gin palace "yachts", and it seems to me the crew have much more fun than the owners, who jet out to meet the boat at its ultra - fabulous location, but never actually do any sailing in between.

I've always thought of yachting as similar to campervanning, except being cold, wet and miserable as well as cramped and uncomfortable. ......
No there's much more to it than that - the excitement of leaving harbour or anchorage and the pleasure of arriving at the next one. It's just the bits in between that can be cold wet and miserable.

It’s a toy, not a boat to live on or a machine to race… stunning though.

Racing yachts are beautifully uncluttered, fold down racks and a single burner stove hanging over the toilet directly above the keel, tape handles to hang onto as there’s no floor… crude, but because of the speed you don’t have that long to put up with it.

I love boat fitouts, all the things beautifully fitted into small spaces, good inspiration for small home living. There’s a national trust house just south of Cambridge with a pantry like a yacht, drawers and cupboards floor to ceiling, one of my favourite rooms anywhere

It’s a toy, not a boat to live on or a machine to race… stunning though.

Racing yachts are beautifully uncluttered, fold down racks and a single burner stove hanging over the toilet directly above the keel, tape handles to hang onto as there’s no floor… crude, but because of the speed you don’t have that long to put up with it.

I love boat fitouts, all the things beautifully fitted into small spaces, good inspiration for small home living. There’s a national trust house just south of Cambridge with a pantry like a yacht, drawers and cupboards floor to ceiling, one of my favourite rooms anywhere
They all are Tiddles, marinas are full of toys, all theres as toys to play on. In fact in your average marina probably 95% of the boats are toys. It's why they're called Pleasure Craft.

You dont want one of those boring carbon fiber affairs.pure racing, but even then 90% isnt professioal, and the ones that are are mostly day sailers.
In the 30's, the heyday of the big racing yachts like Shamrock V the interior is as you would expect, ornate and comfortable, lots of cabinetry done to perfection. Cigars and gin.

Mates racer we lived in relative comfort. Comfy berths, full galley, proper toilet. Not that you use the toilet, as the rule is he who uses, cleans. Easier to pee over the side ;)
Last boat I was in was a 38' 1890 ketch cutter, square rigged, we even had a yard for downwind.

Boats jump about & sailing boats lean over
well as you can see there its under full sail and doesnt appear to be jumping about. Besides the fact it isnt 'jumping about, on the smaller yachts Ive sailed on going below to make coffee, get some beers up and choccy biccys, I found it no problem to move about without being thrown around and such smaller 30-40' dont have the stability of a yacht such as that size
The headsail is a furling and all lines lead to the cockpit, and once the main is up thats all she wrote there. and any trimming is again controlled from the cockpit electronically

As to lean, thats dependent on the point of sail. But as explained in the vid its a day sailer. For an experienced owner and his friends and no crew provision.
Not sure why out and about you'd want to reside below decks anyway 🤨 the whole point is to be out sailing.

Point of the vid and me posting it was about the beautiful workmanship of the yacht itself and the craftsmanship of the cabins below. Both of which you would think would have gained attention on this a forum about craftsmanship and fine cabinetmaking.

Last edited:
Thread title made me think of Crosby Stills Nash at Woodstock all those years ago. Excellent.

Can't help thinking super fancy fit out is for parking in the Med and inviting "beautiful people" on board rather than actually going anywhere.

Depends what you like.
Maybe if you don’t want to hear others opinions, the internet is not a place to be?

Tritton, I had read up to here before I saw the video and now I’ve seen it I know exactly where you’re coming from I don’t think they’ve seen it, from a woodman’s point of view it’s absolutely incredible. The design particularly of the cabin areas is stunning the quality of the craftsmanship is world beating . I can’t imagine what it cost, obviously millions but what an advert for British craftsmanship! Ian

They peeled a whole mahogany tree and used the veneers throughout. How they get the angles reducing to zero in the single piece seems like wizardry to me. Pretty sure the seats looked like stained oak, not walnut. Loved the curves seating and the formed steps.

They peeled a whole mahogany tree and used the veneers throughout. How they get the angles reducing to zero in the single piece seems like wizardry to me. Pretty sure the seats looked like stained oak, not walnut. Loved the curves seating and the formed steps.
Yes In liked the steps as well and the seating with its three-dimensional curves and the table base – steamed I presume.
I wonder if they will build more and we could have another J class.

Absolutely stunning, just going to check down the back of the sofa for the several million I'm short of the deposit.

I don't really care how it's going to be used or not used, it's very beautiful and if I was in the mega rich category I'd want one, practical or otherwise.

You are combative with anyone who doesn’t agree with you… ala Screwfix thread. Let me fix the problem, there we go, you can join Jacob.

It's very nice and the skill and workmanship involved are evident everywhere you look, not my cup of tea really but it is what the owner wants and likes.

As to lean, thats dependent on the point of sail. But as explained in the vid its a day sailer. For an experienced owner and his friends and no crew provision.
Not sure why out and about you'd want to reside below decks anyway 🤨 the whole point is to be out sailing.
Point of the vid and me posting it was about the beautiful workmanship of the yacht itself and the craftsmanship of the cabins below. Both of which you would think would have gained attention on this a forum about craftsmanship and fine cabinetmaking.

Yes its very beautiful & the joinery is stunning, my point was that any boat even if it spends 99% of its time in a marina will one day get caught out in a squall & have to thrash to windward with the lee rail down, some owners like day sailing like this as well!
Doesnt make such huge open plan layouts any less impractical or safe.

Yes, simply stunning workmanship but completely impractical. Where's the crews quarters? The internal layout effectively demotes this blue water racer to a day boat. OK, if thats what the owner wants, that's what he gets. I have my suspicions that this boat will never achieve its full sailing potential which is a great shame

Latest posts

Back