Wooden Rulers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ59

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently found my granddad's old wooden ruler, never been used, still in box. I acquired it in 1975.

Just wondered if anyone still used these?

No can't say I do.
Where I learnt my trade, the old hands favoured the 2' wooden rule's not the 3', for some reason.
Obviously before metric.

Regards Rodders

I have 2' and 3' rules, but the 2' gets the most use

Russ59":26ymwn73 said:
I recently found my granddad's old wooden ruler, never been used, still in box. I acquired it in 1975.

Just wondered if anyone still used these?

Just a suggestion,
Do like I did with my grandfathers rule (just like yours) give it a polish and put it on a bookcase as an ornament.
Makes me smile every time. Good memories.

Those kinds of rulers are still common in Sweden, called tumstock which means inch-stock. Kinda funny since nowadays they are metric. Hultafors makes the traditional wooden version still and a more modern version in abs plastic.

Funnily enough I've fairly recently started using a four fold rule in addition to the usual tape measure - sometimes I find it easier (and more legible.) I would certainly go for a tape if forced to choose only one of them, but I'm finding that having both to hand is convenient.

I'm using a slightly more modern Rabone Chesterman Tuffrule (made from yellow plastic) which is metric one side and imperial on the other.

I have one but I don't use it very much. Buts it's nice to look at and it reminds me of past work. I also have a folding extension rule which is much more useful for things such as measuring into cabinets, leveling chairs, measuring diagonals and other places where you want a stiff rule. Bought it on eBay for $12.

c4a2ab4e7628c9ae415549f429f71936.jpg

I bought one of those when I was an apprentice decorator back in 1987. Perfect for tearing lengths of wallpaper to size before pasting. Would imagine they are close to useless for anything but rough measuring though.

Use a 3' all the time. Great piece of kit, I don't use the absolute measurement rather it's for transferring measurements.

You use then on their edge and avoid much of the guess where the division marks are, something than can be done with a steel ruler, but the wooden one has a thick edge to allow it to stand up without wobbling about.

I had a wooden 3' rule I got from my grandfather, probably in the early seventies. It got lost in transit between wife number one and current wife, along with loads of other tools from his and my fathers workshops. Probably one of the things that bothers me most still after 25 years.
Look after it.

Shug

Got lots from the old days - used them a lot for "dipping" - measuring levels from a string line.

Rod

Yes, my two foot four fold is generally what I reach for first. I do also have a three foot which not only has the so-called "blindman's" bold black markings, but also has brass nails making Braille numbers!

It should come in handy as I get older or if I have to work by candlelight ;-)

I use a birch Hultafors one every day, it's the 2m reversed version. I feel lost and confused if I mislay or leave it on the side at home before work.

Latest posts

Back