Wooden hinge box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Just looking at wooden hinge boxes. Do they all have a metal pin, in which case I can work it out, or are there crafty all wood versions?
Could watch 90 minute Rob Cosman vid but it's too long for me!

Of all the versions that I have seen, I like the cosman one the most. If you look on YouTube there are enough clips to see the basics of it.

Many of the others look a bit chunky for my liking.

I have a small wooden box holding a fountain pen with a hard wood hinge pin

With a lathe it is probably fairly straightforward to centre drill the dowel. Just match the dowel radius to the router cutter.

Cosman uses, or has used welding rods for the pin before.
He has a few videos on the subject if your skipping ahead to find the interesting bits.
He now sells a jig to drill perfectly centered holes which might be worth looking into
if you don't have a lathe, which you might have already.

For someone who has no lathe and doesn't want to faff about with making that jig, then this technique looks like it would do the job, if one has a pillar drill.

I made a small box many moons ago and used a long wooden skewer for the pin, made from bamboo and very strong. I've seen them in the quid shops not so long ago.

Flipped through Rob Cosman - about 60 minutes he shows how he actually does the hinge. Very neat!

You could probably use something like a roll pin to save cutting up weld wire.

That's them, though it says birchwood where mine are definitely bamboo. I use them for all sorts of things from clearing holes, picking glue out of corners and mixing epoxy, just snap them to length, they splinter a bit though.

EDIT, must read properly, there are both kinds. 😵

Not so much a box as a clock case.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

No jigs around when I made this either, just some cerefull drilling on my bench drill and as it had to be fairly slim around the pin hole it's re-enforced with cyano. The pin stops part way down the bottom bit on the case and a short pin is glued into the bottom as I wanted to be able to remove the pin if necessary. The clock case is 13" diameter and it holds the face with no problems.

IMG_1107.JPG

No CNC used for anything. Just my Mk1 eng eyeballs :D

I forgot to say. The pin is turned from box wood.

Last edited:
Back