Wooden handle screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19'' long and slim with an ebony handle.
s-l1600 (15).jpg

like those workshopted - any ideas on the use of the very long thin ebony (?) handled one?

I expect you know, but the ones with stepped shafts were said to be made from spinning or weaving machine reel shafts -- anyone confirm this?

I had a full set of heavy sparkless tools in a box (for mines, flour mills, explosive factories etc) but the driver was much less elegant than yours (donated it to Ken Hawley many years ago so you could prob see it in the collection).

I really like old turnscrews and this post has prompted me to dig out a few pics of some in my tool chest. I think the longest example here isView attachment 94910 about 25''.

Really cool looking things, they're just lovely shapes & IMO really ergonomic to use, for me wooden handles just work.
Can i ask, why does that one have a circular hole in the blade?

I expect you know, but the ones with stepped shafts were said to be made from spinning or weaving machine reel shafts -- anyone confirm this?
I have it on good authority that the 1897 Marples catalogue listed them as "spindle blade turnscrew" which would fit with that idea. Sadly, I don't have a copy of my own.

Hi, Danny,

I'm afraid that your question has made me realise that I have very little knowledge of the history and use of turnscrews such as these... I must try harder. Grin!

I'm rather pleased that you donated your examples to the Ken Hawley collection. They couldn't have gone to a better place.

Hi, Vono,

I share your liking of tools with wooden handles - but as for your '' why does that one have a circular hole in the blade'', I can only refer you to my reply to Danny above... Perhaps to insert a bar of some kind?

Hello
Yes I maybe wondered that, but the blade does seem to be very shaped/widened doesn't it around the hole, although maybe that's so there's enough "meat" for it to stand it.
Whatever, it's a very cool looking thing. :)

I agree there is something satisfying working with a tool that has been doing the same task for many years, or even decades (along with I am sure a few tasks for which they were not intended even if the design lends to prizing or levering )......... and the torque one can generate from a long shafted screw driver I suspect is way beyond any power tool...... ( I am happy to be corrected ) though I do wonder what is the difference between a 'Screwdriver' and a 'Turnscrew' if any...........?

Hi, Vono,

I share your liking of tools with wooden handles - but as for your '' why does that one have a circular hole in the blade'', I can only refer you to my reply to Danny above... Perhaps to insert a bar of some kind?

Vono, I am sure it will be to insert a Tommy bar to increase Torque......... however it does reinforce, right driver for right screws, as I have replicated this with the London Flat-point style but with an adjustable wrench and found where there is a good fit it works really well but when rushing or wrongly matched screw to tip...... disaster follows....

Back