wooden garden tool handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
A slightly off topic request hopefully someone can help.

I'm refurbishing some garden tools. The handles of which are completely shot.
The tools are sound but I need replacement handles. I'm after a 23mm and 28mm by 1200mm
long.

Does anyone know where I can find some online. It seems to be next to the hens teeth no.matter what I've tried
Looking for!

Many thanks

Yep it's how and rake handles. Reviews state that the above handles are tool flexible.

Anyone know of any others?

You could bench-make those without too much bother from straight blanks, in either a v-shaped cradle or between bench poppets, using spokeshave or plane.

Probably take about an hour to do both if you want to get them fully rounded, but octagonal-section would take far less time. 20 minutes maybe?

I have a S&J garden rake, bought new (less than 5 years ago, from memory).

It has an ash handle, with overall end to end taper, and a "waist" near the top for your hand.

So (in short) a proper wooden handle.

It's round, not elliptical, though.

EDIT; found it in my Amazon order history:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004410FQU/

BugBear

Just found that toolsandtimber.co.uk do various lengths and diameters.

Problem solved.

What's the best finish to put into ash for a working tool?

(Not varnish as that will give blisters). Just apply blo and leave it?

Slightly off topic, but years ago when we moved to Lancaster, the handle on my pitchfork broke. Didn't have a lathe then so went in to Burgess the agricultural suppliers and without thinking, asked for a "pikel steel", which was what they were called in my home dialect . Got some very blank looks!

Back