Wooden cycle wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
On my to-do list is to make a wood-frame bike as it looks like the parking outside work might be put over to parking meter and I may need to park up and cycle in the last mile or so, so a small wheel bike that fits in the back of the car might be a good idea. I think I've worked out most of the issues except how to laminate up the wheels. Anyone know how its done?

Normally in a press or a vacuum.
Sorry, but the wheels are the one place id suggest you go with off the peg. Its very difficult to do and if it goes wrong its your face in the asphalt. A frame is likely to fail with signs of a defect, a wheel will fail amd put you on the ground without.

I could imagine a laminated wheel rim ( as in thin strips wound round and round and not a wheel cut out of plywood if you get my drift, ) could be very strong indeed, now wooden spokes would be pushing the bounds a bit.
But seriously didn’t the Pennyfarthing is have wooden wheels? I suppose if you were to laminate it up thick enough And then route out for the tyre could work. A quick look at the web and there are dozens and dozens of them but they nearly always have normal wheels. Ian

Yes they used a steam bent rim on ordinary bikes at the start. It was quickly replaced by metal. Can't think why. 😂

Worked on cart wheels as well. But then a horse drawn isnt exactly stressed like a bike wheel.

Having ridden on a wooden rim on an ordinary , the feeling a oh beep every time you roll over a stone is enough for me to say it isnt worth it.

Back