wooden cross for a grave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer n nails

Established Member
Reaction score
i have been asked to make a 3 ft cross seems simple enough but what do you charge for a job like that?
Anyone got any ideas i will make it out of oak

depending on the overall thickness, and finishing about £100 +. if its just a rustic cross then a fence post will do with a cross lap joint.

adidat

H&N,

If the cross is temporary, then a nice knot-free piece of pressure treated pine, 100 x 50 mm should do the trick. That's lasting enough and looks okay, especially if you add a staining, weatherproof finish to make it look like cedar or some-such. As for your labour, I wouldn't presume to tell you what to charge, but I should imagine it wouldn't take you long to make with a router.

HTH

John

PS I just thought... Why not go to your local cemetery and ask there if they know of anyone who makes wooden crosses. Perhaps they could tell you what the going rate might be. Just an idea.

J :)

thanks all but the cross is going to be permanent so that's why I will do it in oak I don't usually make things like this but its for a friend of a friend so got to keep the price fair .

Your hourly rate x hours it takes, as its a mate round down and knock off a few quid. If its timber you already have charge half the value to whats used and if not charge what you paid for the timber. Thats how I would do it.

Latest posts

Back