Woodcarvers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

8) Are there any woodcarvers out there? I want to build a small carving tool case for travel and/or shows, or classes....something small to carry the basic necessities.....any ideas? :wink:

How about a chisel or tool roll for the sharp stuff, lay out any other stuff on a piece cloth and roll the whole lot together. Secure with a pair of boot laces. Any good :?:

Woody

Hi Ho,

I seem to recall that there's a design of tool case/tote for just that very purpose in The Toolbox Book. Might be worth a look.

What kind of carving do you do? I've done a little (a very little) in the past, but I don't think it comes naturally to me. :roll:

Cheers, Jester

Thanks...Jester...what is the site address for the toolbox book?..I haven't been carving long, have won quite a few ribbons at shows and really right now carve whatever comes to mind, bird, fish, caricature....will find my niche someday.

Hi Ho,

You can find details here. Depending on your level of woodworking, it may or may not be any good. There should be plenty of inspiration in it, though.

Sounds pretty good. My only attempt was a "Love Spoon" for a friends anniversary. I chose to do it in beech, which was a BIG mistake. If I ever do it again, it'll be in lime (or maybe balsa...) :roll:

Cheers, Jester

I carve mostly on basswood, I think you folks in the U.K. call it Linden.

Hi Ho,

I think we call it lime too :wink: Why does every wood seem to have a dozen different "common" names? (Rhetorical question)

Cheers, Jester
Who seems to recall an old issue of FWW with an article called "Basswood, Linden or Lime"

In the current issue of Fine WoodWorking (Shops & Tools 2002 edition), there's a neat little carry case for carving tools, including a small drawer. I just checked on their web site but it's not shown in the reader's gallery section. There's very little detail on it, but it may be just enough inspiration to get your creative juices flowing.

Cheers,

AG

Thanks afterglow, sounds interesting, but unfortunately, I don't subscribe to FWW.......can't get 'em all!

Hi-Ho Sliver,

If you drop me an email, I just may be in a position to send you a scan of the aforementioned carving kit-box. I'm hopefully going to get the old scanner wound up again this weekend, after a year out of action, as there have been too many woodworking things I've not been able to scan recently!

Cheers,

AG

Thanks afterglow, received the picture, some good ideas, may incorporate into "whatever" it is I end up with! :wink:

My pleasure Hi-Ho, it seems kind of ironic having a brit sending scans of a fine American magazine back home again!

Cheers,

AG

Yes it does, but then everything seems to be upside down anymore doesn't it.......

Latest posts

Back