Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreco99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Ive just got a scroll saw, and i need some wood to play with. Any tips on where to get scraps of wood from? Seems a waste to buy nice new sheets from BnQ.

thanks

Check for local joiners or cabinetmakers in your area, usually they have mounds of offcuts that you can rifle through for free or near enough. Won't really be any exotic timbers to be had down this route unless they're some pretty specialty cabinetmakers, but you'll still find Oak, Ash, Sapele, Pine and good quality bits of plywood in good supply.

or charity shops for solid wood furniture that has little value but can be harvested for the timber content.

Quite a few B&Q stores have scrap off cut bins just outside the chckouts now. I’ve pulled a few decent sized pieces out on recent visits. A small donation in a homeless charity box is the cost.

Car boot sales are another good source

Pine shelves, *new* cutting boards (avoid used)

I tend to pay .50p to £1 for either

I try and reuse wood wherever I can but sometimes you have to resort to buying some, check ply around the edges for any voids (gaps between the layers)

If there are any builders/kitchen fitters/window fitters around doing work, just ask if they have any offcuts or scrap, they are not usually bothered about reusing timber as it takes time and time is money

Latest posts

Back