Wood yard closed or open?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does any know if wood yards are open at the moment? Have a project in mind but don't have enough wood to finish it. ](*,)

Thanks.

A

Not sure they pass the ‘essential’ test for either their staff to be key workers and thus be exposed to the risk or for us to warrant leaving house to make trip.

They will be closed.
For some reason bent and quirky will still deliver, but proper building supplies are closed

Scawton Sawmill are still open according to their website with delivery only by Palletways or TNT which will probably make it expensive.

homeware, building supplies and hardware stores

That's considered essential business. That's why B&Q and Toolstation are still open, albeit click and collect only.

B&Q will sell sheets material and timber, but I'll have to make a 45min trek to Derby, and not sure they will cut a full ply sheet so I can put it in my car either.

I'll have to call on Monday to find out if the one down the road from me is open...

A

The ones I use are open. But only regular, trusted customers who have sensible delivery set ups. They will prioritise people with whom they do significant business.

My Local GE Collis and sons are open, Got a guy on the gate, One car out, one car in. Maximum of four cars at a time. It's only 3 minutes away from me. Need it whist on lockdown, as my garage/workshop is keeping me sane .

FFS guys, really!

Not sure you’ve understood what’s going on. Getting some timber for hobby / home projects is not an essential task.

I’ll not add anything to this thread from here on but as part of day job I’m trying to arrange who should / should not may have to live at a power station, away from family, to keep power on. That is essential. A sheet of 4x8 is not. They are making sacrifice so you don’t have to.

Just think about it for the few weeks / months it may take.

Simon

Simon, I am sure you are critical to all life and indeed saintly, as well as patronising, but many sawmills run on a shoestring, employ a handful of guys, and they mostly do not earn much. If they are able to take on-line orders and operate social distancing when they deliver, then why should they, or indeed we, be preached at by you? FFS. Get off your high horse.

SVB":1nntwn0y said:
FFS guys, really!

Not sure you’ve understood what’s going on. Getting some timber for hobby / home projects is not an essential task.

I’ll not add anything to this thread from here on but as part of day job I’m trying to arrange who should / should not may have to live at a power station, away from family, to keep power on. That is essential. A sheet of 4x8 is not. They are making sacrifice so you don’t have to.

Just think about it for the few weeks / months it may take.

Simon

I understand where you are coming from on this Simon and I thought twice before responding to the original post. Indeed I had a quick look at the list of businesses that it had been stipulated should close and sawmills do not appear on it.

For a hobby woodworker that leaves the issue of the travel not being essential but delivery remains an option. As I understand it the rules say only travel for work if you have to which means professional woodworkers and trades people could pick up an order if delivery was not available but would need to observe social distancing. It seems from other comments on here that where this is happening sensible steps are being taken.

I also am involved in keeping what has been deemed an essential service up and running. It is difficult and can feel like you are asking employees to make sacrifices while the rest of the world stays at home. As such I can see why this thread may touch a nerve but I don’t think anyone is suggesting doing anything that is not permitted in the current circumstances.

Thanks to you and your colleagues for your efforts in keeping the lights on - that genuinely is essential.

AJB Temple":3qn1p2us said:
Simon, I am sure you are critical to all life and indeed saintly, as well as patronising, but many sawmills run on a shoestring, employ a handful of guys, and they mostly do not earn much. If they are able to take on-line orders and operate social distancing when they deliver, then why should they, or indeed we, be preached at by you? FFS. Get off your high horse.

And you accuse Simon of being patronising !!! Jeez..get a grip, man. What exactly are you doing to help the Covid-19 crisis ?

Tyler Hardwoods between Hungerford and Salisbury where I get my stuff from are open but you are restricted to them selecting your emailed order rather than you selecting what you want.

John

Shawfield timber in Glasgow is open. You call and order and pay on the phone then collect it at your specified time from your specified bay outside their yard.

B and Q are doing the same thing but for people who like getting ripped off when buying wood.

D

Does anyone know of anyone delivering as I am not allowed to leave the house environs until August when my Imuno system should be back up an running

Duffield Timber (the largest hardwood merchant up here in North Yorkshire) have been having difficulties over the last few weeks.

They started by closing just the public counter and showroom, a few days later dropped all visitors other than for pre-order pickup, then went on to deliveries only, and today I see they've posted that they've closed until further notice.

I hope these places manage to survive this...

Bodgers":7wrx8rqr said:
Duffield Timber (the largest hardwood merchant up here in North Yorkshire) have been having difficulties over the last few weeks.

They started by closing just the public counter and showroom, a few days later dropped all visitors other than for pre-order pickup, then went on to deliveries only, and today I see they've posted that they've closed until further notice.

I hope these places manage to survive this...

Seconded. I wonder if it's shortages further up their supply chain ? I know that 18mm ply is difficult to come by. Egger have shut their factory. No reason to suppose that other manufacturers haven't done the same. On the plus side, if Iggesunds have shut then that means no timber extraction this year... Result !

...managed to do half my project with the pine I bought pre-lockdown plus the remnant plyboards that I had in stock. Had to change my design to accommodate. It was supposed to be a mobile larder trolley thingy for the storage side of the garage. It works. :wink: A couple more tiers to go when I can get some more material.

Today I spend the whole morning chopping up "scraps" of hardwood to make some chopping boards. Got so excited that I forgot to call the yard! ](*,)

Still need some material to replaces some rotting floor boards though.

I note the comment about being responsible when going out. I wasn't going to comment... My take on this is that if the shops are open, and if I practice social distancing etc, it's ok to visit those shops. I mean, if one visits the supermarket for food, is it not ok to get some desserts, some cakes / biscuits etc while you are there? Is it not ok for me to buy some wood to keep my sanity if those shops are open?

Anyway, stay safe all.

Wish BJ all the best. Mortality is rather high with Cvoid-19 if one ends up in ICU. :cry: (don't like the guy but feel sorry for his pregnant partner)

A

You can get floor board from wickes. Store is closed (good thing IMHO) You click and collect .

Latest posts

Back