Wood workshop racking didn't fit to the wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobson156

Established Member
Reaction score
If you were building workshop racking from timber, making frame for each shelf and then using ply for the tops; would you create the frame first and then attach it to the wall, or would you build the frame on the wall (securing the parts which'd attach directly to the wall first and working out from there?

The reason I ask is because I tried the first way, building the frame on the floor using construction timbre. I tried to cut precisely and keep everything square along the way. But when I had finishing constructing the frame, and offered it up to the wall it was no longer square enough and the back edge had a bow in it. To itself credit, the frame was very rigid but that meant that the bow wouldn't just be taken out when attaching it to the wall.

I believe this issue is almost definitely caused by the construction timbre isn't straight, something I should have checked before. And when I connect to the two long edges of the frame with the noggins on long edged "pulled" the other to its deformation. One solution would be to plane the long edges flat first - but that seems very time consuming for what was supposed to be some quick shelving.

A hybrid of the two ideas would be to create the basic frame on the floor, but only use the 3 crossmembers/noggins (so there is some flex in the frame remaining), mount it to the wall then add the remaining cross members.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

If you were building workshop racking from timber, making frame for each shelf and then using ply for the tops; would you create the frame first and then attach it to the wall, or would you build the frame on the wall (securing the parts which'd attach directly to the wall first and working out from there?
I would not make the racking from wood, more bulky, expensive and time consuming. Just buy the racking and assemble then you can just get on with your woodworking. The type I use is the keyhole type which assembles easy and can take a lot of weight.

Something like this 5 Tier MDF Storage Unit 1200x1830x400mm

and look out for the sales, I brought six at half price each and used parts from one to fit more shelves in the others. I have made timber racking in the past but found it takes a lot of time and you end up with less shelf space due to the bulky timber framing.

I really don't want those sorts of racks, I am suspending the racks from the ceiling not propping them up from the floor. That way I can put work surfaces below them as well as some workbenches and machines on casters. Basically this is high up storage leaving the floor space free.

Don’t know if this is of any help but I built my own years ago from ply & 3x2, I started by fixing a frame to the wall building the frame as I fixed it to the wall

2E55F84F-A053-44D2-BA8F-8049AC7292D3.jpeg

I then fitted the shelf brackets made form 3x2 & ply

D09CBA0E-B8C3-40DF-800C-7B09A753E766.jpeg

At first I only used screws through the ply into the uprights but I have since replaced those screws with nuts & bolts as the brackets began to sag.
This was it when it was just finished

5E839C51-0F39-4EBA-A03D-C52014B75E08.jpeg

I like your idea. But probably a slightly different use-case to me.

Basically I just want to know if you wanted to secure a horizontal frame to a wall, would you build the frame first then attach it, or would you build it on the wall to start with?

I would build on the wall as I went.

@Doug B You must have know a question like this would come up one day; that's why you took all those photos?

Here's mine, I bolted the uprights to the wall first making sure everything was plumb and inline then added the horizontals.

rack 3.jpg

@Doug B You must have know a question like this would come up one day; that's why you took all those photos?
I thought I did a post on here of the whole built including the pivoting MDF sheet & offcut store below but that would have been in the days of photobucket hosting so it was easier to just find the album & post up a few of the photos.

I thought I did a post on here of the whole built including the pivoting MDF sheet & offcut store below but that would have been in the days of photobucket hosting so it was easier to just find the album & post up a few of the photos.
You did Doug as I copied it ... probably means I owe you a pint :cry:

Hi - even though you are looking to install high level shelving I would build it to the wall especially if as your post says it’s square and true . I’d also stil run the main supports down to the floor for additional support. As spectric posted timber is bulky but with mine I can and do store extremely heavy items but due to the 2x2 support’s and the 18 mm mdf they have not sagged. I’ll post a couple of pics when I get home . I also used the opportunity to practice a few simple joints using my mitre saw . I think they are housing joints -where the horizontal timbers are set into the verticals .

Back