Wood working mask recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy brit

Reaction score
Can any one recommend a mask for casual/hobby use for wood working please. Lots out there, varying in price and they all say they are the best!

Many Thanks

Colin

Depends if you wear glasses and / or have facial hair really.

The 3M 7500 half-masks are generally quite good. The exhaust port points down so less chance of steaming glasses and goggles but not great for beards. If you have facial hair and genuinely want to prevent the dust / spray getting into your eyes and lungs then a full face mask is the way to go, something like a 3M 6800.

They are not the cheapest but also not the most expensive either, that and the filter media is readily available from pretty much anywhere on the planet. Also be aware that the filter inserts themselves are different for different use.

Depends if you wear glasses and / or have facial hair really.

The 3M 7500 half-masks are generally quite good. The exhaust port points down so less chance of steaming glasses and goggles but not great for beards. If you have facial hair and genuinely want to prevent the dust / spray getting into your eyes and lungs then a full face mask is the way to go, something like a 3M 6800.

They are not the cheapest but also not the most expensive either, that and the filter media is readily available from pretty much anywhere on the planet. Also be aware that the filter inserts themselves are different for different use.
Thank you, that's useful. I was looking at the 3M, but didn't realize that there were different filters. What filter would i want?

Thank you, that's useful. I was looking at the 3M, but didn't realize that there were different filters. What filter would i want?
Depends on what you are working with. Look for a stockist and check the range. Should be clear enough relative the materials you are using.

I like the trend stealth mask for general woodworking ( I am a glasses wearer and it does not fog them up) .
For spray painting I use a Moldex half mask with screw on filters, which is just as comfy but heavier with full ABEK and pre filters on it.
Get the right size for your face, makes a lot of difference.

Trend airshield sometimes but I find it heavy so mainly use it if face protection needed ( occasional turning).

Ollie

I use a JSP Force 8
Can be fitted with different filters depending what you are dealing with.
I like the ‘push to test’ feature that helps ensure you have a good seal.

I like the trend stealth mask for general woodworking ( I am a glasses wearer and it does not fog them up) .
For spray painting I use a Moldex half mask with screw on filters, which is just as comfy but heavier with full ABEK and pre filters on it.
Get the right size for your face, makes a lot of difference.

Trend airshield sometimes but I find it heavy so mainly use it if face protection needed ( occasional turning).

Ollie
I also use a Trend
Can any one recommend a mask for casual/hobby use for wood working please. Lots out there, varying in price and they all say they are the best!

Many Thanks

Colin
I always use a Trend Airshield Pro as most gogles and face masks steam up my glasses. I never turn my lathe on unless I wear the mask. Also I always wear gloves as well. I know that is another woodturners debate “to wear or not to wear gloves”. I do have a pair of prescription “ski type” safety glasses but they do cost a small fortune, twice the price of The Trend Airshield! I use the glasses for non lathe work. I day in the eye hospital for the removal of a mico splinter in the cornea made me take eye protection very seriously after that! Good luck.

I really like a powered respirator: JSP Powercap Active IP Powered Respirator Impact Protection (there are many others on the market). The air blows down across your eyes so the visor never fogs up, and it keeps you cool. It has a little bit of vibration which is annoying, but other than that is fairly quiet. Some of the more expensive ones put the motor and fans on a waist belt so you don't get any vibration/noise going into your head. If I was wearing it all day every day, I'd splurge for one of the more expensive ones.

I also have JSP Force 8 first respirator I've had that actually allows free breathing, as in passage of air not having to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Back