Wood turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muriel

Reaction score
Hi my name is Muriel I’m new to site. My husband David whose a fabricator welder has taken to wood turning as a hobby. His birthday is coming up so I was wondering if anyone could advise me on buying his m some tools for his lathe. He has some old chisels but are there any basic good quality sets for around £100 mark that he could add to in time. Thanks

Hello and welcome.
The one set of woodturning gouges that most will recommend is the Robert Sorby set, however this pushes your budget a bit..

https://www.yandles.co.uk/robert-sorby- ... -set/p5656

If that is too much the the 'essentials' are covered in this post, so you could maybe purchase two/ three/ four individually, the same tools but without the fancy box.
viewtopic.php?t=27236

Shops that are good to deal with regards advice on purchase would be The Toolpost, Yandles, Turners Retreat, Axminster to name a few.

Brands to go for would include Sorby, Henry Taylor, Crown, Ashley Isles, Record Power and Axminster plus a few more. Please avoid the likes of Silverline, Draper, Faithful and any Far Eastern tools available on amazon and Ebay.

Tools, like chocolate and toilet roll are one of the things that no one will thank you for for the cheapest option :)

If you can sneak into hubby's workshop and take a pic of what tools he has already we could advise accordingly so as not to double up.

Hope that helps a bit

Back