Wood to painted wall adhesive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this one, shouldn't be too complicated to make

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 21.13.33.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 21.13.33.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 101
..but in all seriousness, the thing is only going to be 16” long and have 2 hooks, lightweight use. It's in a bedroom, so is used to hang a coat and maybe a handbag. Two - three woodscrews into 10mm plasterboard and 20mm plywood should hold it just fine.(sorry I didn’t know about plywood when I started the thread so my original question is kinda obsolete).
thanks to all who participated.

You have changed the whole dynamic now Ozzy.

That handbag aspect. OMG.

My wife has a handbag. Well in truth she has lots. They are apparently necessary and need to match shoes or outfits or mood or something. Anyway, the point is they are all like a Tardis crossed with Noah's Ark. They are full of "essential" stuff (and quite a lot of tissues). And boy is this stuff heavy.

If the bag you are contemplating hanging on this super strong rack is even remotely similar, then I fear for your walls.

Unless the bag is yours of course. Far be it from me to suggest that man bags are often full of hot air. 8) 8)

Trainee neophyte":1mc0kd6b said:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/digital-detectors/

Find your studs, and use screws. You get a brand new gadget to play with, too.

I've found that a largish rare earth magnet works well as a stud finder - you can "feel" the nail/screw heads. The digital ones are no doubt better for plasterboard, but my understanding is that they don't work so well in older houses with lath and plaster (it's too uneven for the machine to distinguish the joists).

Osvaldd":1qupasxx said:
..but in all seriousness, the thing is only going to be 16” long and have 2 hooks, lightweight use. It's in a bedroom, so is used to hang a coat and maybe a handbag. Two - three woodscrews into 10mm plasterboard and 20mm plywood should hold it just fine.(sorry I didn’t know about plywood when I started the thread so my original question is kinda obsolete).
thanks to all who participated.

in all seriousness, why on earth do you even ask for opinions? you've done it again, started a thread to recieve sound advice, completley ignore it then go and do it anyway despite good advice and people looking out for your best interests, it's a predictable pattern of behaviour that will make people less willing to help in future.

I think we could collectively cut Osvaldd some slack here.
If you read from the beginning, he thought he needed to use adhesive because there were pipes and cables whose exact positions he did not know. When told adhesive would not work he went and checked again, yesterday afternoon. He realised that there was plywood behind the plaster, so said he'd be ok with several shortish woodscrews into the plywood.

The thread could have ended there.

Or after he apologised for not spotting the plywood earlier.

AndyT":2scf0i9z said:
I think we could collectively cut Osvaldd some slack here.
If you read from the beginning, he thought he needed to use adhesive because there were pipes and cables whose exact positions he did not know. When told adhesive would not work he went and checked again, yesterday afternoon. He realised that there was plywood behind the plaster, so said he'd be ok with several shortish woodscrews into the plywood.

The thread could have ended there.

Or after he apologised for not spotting the plywood earlier.

Ah, but how does he know it's plywood?

@Geoff_S
I checked the inside of the wall

Attachments

• IMG_4794.JPG
    IMG_4794.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 113
Ozzy. Is that not a picture of a hole in the wall, with a batten in it, some plasterboard and .....a complete absence of plywood?

the plywood is there, on both sides actually. I just couldn't take a better picture to show it.
The socket is recessed into the plasterboard/plywood sandwich.

Can't you just fix the hooks to the back of a door or something instead?

not missing anything GrahamF - and thanks for suggestion.
the original question was can you use construction adhesive on a painted plastered wall, the answer was - better not.
I then proceeded to investigate what kind of wall it was and found out theres a plywood behind the plasterboard so really theres no problem now. thread should be closed. no hard feelings no unnecessary stress.
cheers all.

I have some of those type of plastic plugs - can't get them to work for me. The problem is as much the plasterboard itself that has no strength, especially around the hole ! Better luck with those metal ones that you really need a setting tool for.

Geoff_S":3ub7u0nw said:
Can you hang it from the ceiling but flat against the wall. Use fishing line to disguise it or fancy chain as a feature? 8)

Possibly - problem with the chain / fishing line / any wire type idea is the weight of coats and balance - you'll end up playing a "balance the coats" game :)

- Osvaldd - why is your wall plasterboard and 20mm, ply??? Which is on the outside?

Osvaldd":3ub7u0nw said:
the original question was can you use construction adhesive on a painted plastered wall, the answer was - better not.

Not if it's going to be of (or take) any weight.

Edit - 20mm ply on inside of plasterboard wall?? WTF on earth for? That won't help protect the pipes and wires from a determined silly person, if that's what the person was thinking. It's my understanding if there are wires and pipes in a wall in places that might be subject to drilling, a metal shroud is supposed to be put over them.

Back