Wood supplies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodds

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just got a book on Intarsia and would like to try my hand at it. I have however come up against a stubbling block which is quality wood supplies. I can get chipboard plywood anywhere but quality hardwood to the size i need is proving difficult. The size I need is around 300mm X 300mm X 19-22mm does anyone know of a supplier that would supply small amounts of this size. I live near Heathrow Airport.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tony

I wish that quality wood with a variety of colours was as readily available in this country as it is in the USA. Unfortunately, it isn't :( .

This is one of the reasons why most scrollers in the UK who are interested in intarsia turn either to marquetry (which uses thin, coloured veneers) or segmentation (which uses practically any old board, even MDF).

Cutting marquetry with a scroll saw is not easy because the speed of the saw and the fragility of the veneers are not comfortable bed-fellows. That is why most marquetry in the UK is cut with a knife. Moreover, marquetry creates a two-dimensional picture which lacks the impact of three-dimensional intarsia.

Segmentation is probably a better alternative because once the pieces are cut they can be shaped in the same way as intarsia. Different colours can be achieved by either staining or painting the individual pieces. If you are unable to find suitable woods for your intarsia, this might be an alternative technique for you to try.

Back