Wood Suppliers in Surrey/Hampshire?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I live in Farnham, Surrey and was wondering if anyone in my area could recommend and qaulity timber suppliers ie good service, reasonable prices. I haven't used many suppliers, well none, so wouldn't know what to look for. As usual reputations spread via word of mouth are normally good so i thought i would see if anyone had any recommendations. It is for nothing specific i would just like to have somewhere to refer to.
thanks if you can help if not, not to worry.
regards
bad_hypertension

bad_hypertension":27to8itm said:
Hi all
I live in Farnham, Surrey and was wondering if anyone in my area could recommend and qaulity timber suppliers ie good service, reasonable prices. I haven't used many suppliers, well none, so wouldn't know what to look for. As usual reputations spread via word of mouth are normally good so i thought i would see if anyone had any recommendations. It is for nothing specific i would just like to have somewhere to refer to.
thanks if you can help if not, not to worry.
regards
bad_hypertension

Try WL Wests, (between Petworth and Midhurst) or SL Hardwoods (South London Hardwoods)

These are their websites..

http://www.wlwest.co.uk/home/index.asp

See here

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2026

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/

Or try the search facility on here and get one of the several lists posted in the past.

Adam

I posted the following in the Buying Advice section, but i thought i'd post it here in the General section ...

Apologies for reviving this old thread.
My name is Adam and i was the original poster (bad_hypertension / humanfish). Quite unbelievable that this was well over 10 years ago, shocking! Having finished my 3 years training in furniture making and cabinet making, and subsequently going into business (albeit semi-part-time), the crash that took hold in 2008/2009 made it more difficult to make a go of our ambitions. I subsequently ended up in the book publishing industry (wood, paper, pulp - its still woodwork!?) having applied for a job at the right place and right time. Eight or nine years later i am still in this industry, and, largely enjoying it.

However, having reach my early 30's and working in a job i know very well, i have begun to look for more creative outlets once more. Even if only on the hobbyist level. Luckily, all of the tools i invested in (table saw, band saw, router table, lathe, etc.) are still at my parents having been put to good use by my father and my brother, who continued in the field.

So, whilst sat and work and having creative itches that need scratching, making doodles, and looking on Instagram (that didn't exist all those years ago) for inspriration i thought i would see if my old account at the UKWorkshop was still active. Alas, it was deactivated for quite understandable reasons but many of my posts still exist. So i have created a new account and hope to gradually get reacquainted with the forum layout and community. I invested in a second hand lathe back in 2009/10 and have never really made the full use of it. So my aims are to take up turning throughout 2018 and generally get back into woodwork. Hopefully it is like riding a bike and all the knowledge and techniques i acquired have not been lost!

Regards to all
bad_hypertension / humanfish / Sawhorse / Adam

Hi Adam,

Good to have you back at UKW.

Neil

PS If you still need a timber supplier just select the link in my signature.

NB THE START OF THIS THREAD IS OVER TEN YEARS OLD

I was looking through the suppliers list last night actually. A great resource. I wonder if there are more suppliers these days, or just more we know of I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome back. I’m still looking around all of the sections. There are a few old names I remember.

Gosh, early 30's, you had better crack on :D

Nice story, good luck to you!

Latest posts

Back