wood supplier website?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I live in the Highlands and don't have anywhere local to buy nice cuts of wood. I want to make some furniture but my local suppliers only sell huge great planks and beams for building timber frame houses :)

Any good websites where I can find what I want?

hi there
im not quite as far north (near Edinburgh actually)
iv found a few places for myself (few and far between) ,try these sites lanarkshirehardwoods.co.uk (west Lothian)
scottishwood.co.uk (fife)
wood-shop.co.uk (this one is 20mls from aberdeen)
ive visited the last 2 and was qute impressed with assistance available and range of timbers, good pricing as well
i find its notuncommon to travel 50-60miles to find what you want.
hope this helps

Dave W

www.britishhardwoods.com

Are someone I have purchased from in the past very successfully, and despite being delivered several hundred miles, I think it cost just £15 delivery.

Recommended.

British Hardwoods is my "banker" supplier too, and I agree totally with desmoengine that the folks at Woodshop.co.uk are a helpful lot. I've not bought timber from them, but they were very patient with me when I bought my bench (I asked lots of questions...)

Googling brought up two promising places, although where they are in relation to you I have no idea (Scottish ancestry - yes. Scottish geography - don't ask!). But hey, at least they're in Scotland!

Galloway Timber
Elm Hardwoods (although they also seem to offer Spalted Beech, Horsechestnut, Lime, Yew, Laburnum, Silver Birch, Poplar, Small Round Elm and Oak Burrs and Figure Sycamore. Mmm, I'm drooling...)

Good luck, and be prepared to travel I'm afraid. Still could be worse, you could be in Cornwall :?

Cheers, Alf

Hi ASL

asleitch":17k1915z said:
www.britishhardwoods.com
Are someone I have purchased from in the past very successfully, and despite being delivered several hundred miles, I think it cost just £15 delivery. Recommended.

Thanks for the posting. I've had a look at their site and discovered that one of my customers is only about six miles away from them. I am desparately trying to find a reason to visit my customer. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Do you want to visit because you like looking round woodyards (OK, we all like that) or because you want to place an order and save the delivery?

They took a week or two to machine my order - as I wanted in PAR to exact dimensions. The wood has been fantastic though!

A_L

Hi ASL

asleitch":8j17bghd said:
Do you want to visit because you like looking round woodyards (OK, we all like that) or because you want to place an order and save the delivery?

I'd really like to have a good look around and as it's only about 80 miles I thought I would combine it with a visit to a customer or the relatives, I've been promising to visit, in Penistone (West Yorkshire). :wink:

Cheers
Neil

In that case I'd recommend taking a look at John Boddy at Borobridge just off the A1, north of York and British Hardwoods at Keighley, both of which are near enough to where you are going to be worth a visit. They both do mail order, too

Scrit

In reply to query on wood suppliers in Scotland, Jean Burhouse, at
The Old Sawmill, Inver, Perthshire has a very good selection of hardwoods. I've always found them very helpful. I'm not sure how their prices compare to others but I'm sure they can supply up to date price list.

Back