Wood storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed9888

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a small shop and storing wood is becoming a problem, can anyone suggest a way of storing wood outside, i am very limited for space outside of the shop i have used all the space, my lovely better half is adamant that i cant take any more of her garden space, help!

Never an easy answer, but here goes.............

If you stack unfinished boards outside, it really needs to be horizontal; vertical stacking is not a good idea.
Keep it layered with 1 inch square sticks at about 2 foot intervals along the planks. The important part is to keep it out of direct sunlight, (in shade), keep it well covered with a good overhang all round so that it doesn't get rained on or blown onto. Doing this will ensure that the moisture content will eventually acclimatise to your natural surroundings.

When you get around to using it, cut the stuff oversize and (sorry about this) defy the missus and keep it indoors (in stick) for a few weeks to acclimatise again.
Anywhere will do -behind a sofa, under beds - but away from radiators and direct sunlight. This will prevent any new movement in the boards after another change in environment being a nasty surprise at the gluing stage. As they are oversized, you have some latitude to deal with new movement, twist etc.

Alternatively, if all this is impossible, you'll need a considerable extra expense buying in ready-prepared stuff....... but even then, if you did that, I'd still stack it indoors for a few weeks before use.
Good luck.....

Last edited:
I think the type of wood and rough dimensions will be a factor, I'm assuming you are talking lengths of wood and not boards

I agree with argus's comments above

As much dry airflow as possible

My instinct is to say a wide, shallow, double doored, lean to shed, with internal shelving brackets (not full shelves as they would limit airflow), vented top and bottom.

Can't imagine outdoors is ideal at all, I would take a second look at the space in your workshop and see if you can organise it better and find some extra storage there, for instance I've seen youtube vids where people have build workstations (shop saw etc), on wheels that pull forward and reveal shelving for wood, point being that you don't always need full time access.

I have a small shop and storing wood is becoming a problem, can anyone suggest a way of storing wood outside, i am very limited for space outside of the shop i have used all the space, my lovely better half is adamant that i cant take any more of her garden space, help!

I'm in the same boat so I'd love to know what you solution you come up with! I currently have brackets up high on the back wall opposite my bench and windows, but the space is ridicously limited.

You want a suggestion for storing wood outside, but you have already used all the space.
I'm missing something.
How long do you plan to store the wood? Weeks, Months, years?

Have you thought about a mezzanine gazebo. Built strong enough to store stuff up top and provide shade and some nice newly minted garden furniture to sit on/at and have a vino

Back