Wood related places to visit in kent?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlt

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm off to Kent in a couple of weeks, any suggestions for wood related places to visit whilst down there? Old sawmills, ship builders, furniture gallery's etc etc.

I shall be visiting Axminster Sittingbourne for a mooch at some point 😀.

Thanks, Tom.

Regia.org
Wychurst Weekend
Saturday 7th to Sunday 8th November 2020 they are an anglo saxon group

Weald and downland museum? Went on a primary school trip and it blew my mind. Love to pay a visit now a full forty years later.

I think that Snowdon has designated itself in Kent for the next 2 weeks as it is not 'An Essential Item'!

If you're after wood, turning items and a good chat, Stiles & Bates are the place to go. I'm so sad I l'm so far away that I can't pop in and see what unusual timbers they have.

Phil

The Dockyards in Chatham are worth a visit. Not exactly wood related but very interesting.
When I went there several years ago the main exhibition was called Wooden Walls and was about building the wooden ships for the Royal Navy. I was really impressed that so much could be done by hand. (I understand that at same in the Netherlands they were ahead of the game using windmills to power saw mills and had a production line building their ships.) Also the submarine shed is a fantastic wooden construction, in its way as impressive as Westminster Hall.

Latest posts

Back