Wood Purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt S

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I'm new to woodworking and I'd like to get started on an initially simple (I hope) project. A simple bath caddy
Anyone live near Manchester?
Where do you buy your wood from?
Someone recommended Howarth's - but their website doesn't give much choice.
I looked at B&Q over the weekend - the choice is rubbish and limited
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. The chaps here have an excellent directory of wood suppliers on this thread that might be of some use to you: UK & Ireland TIMBER YARDS - PLEASE Add Your Favourites

And for a project that small, don't discount ebay. There are a lot of wood sellers on there selling individual boards. You can find pretty much anything you want. For larger quantities, it can be expensive due to delivery, but for smaller projects, it might be a good option.

Last edited:
treestation in gorton is recommended, the prices are good, so far it's the best timber I've found near manchester.

Have you tried Manchester Timber - Sawn timber from local trees
Their website says "Please give us a call or email to arrange an appointment to view our timber! " However, the last few times I tried doing that they sent a standard reply saying that due to covid they have staff shortages and are unable to have visitors.
Does anyone know if they are still operating?

I had a very rude guy on the phone, exactly the same experience, I got quite annoyed as this was mid 2021 and I was going to arrive with a mask and was even willing to take a test, they just didn't care at all and in a nutshell told me they were not operating at full capacity, I was going to spend a huge amount of money as well but they weren't interested in that, when I went before 2020 there was an older guy who worked there who was the exact opposite, very friendly and patient and he let me take as long as I wanted look through the boards, he told me that they were able to machine boards to a cutting list as an extra service, hope he still works there.

It seems that the "older guy" may not work there anymore. I hope he didn't succumb to corona virus.

Last edited:
EBay are good for small pieces, you can get p a r in lots of species and there are plenty of off cuts and job lots . Just be sure to read the description as some are selling you 1 piece for the advertised price but will show several pieces in their photos, look out for free delivery and also that the seller accepts returns ( should you not like what you receive .

EBay are good for small pieces, you can get p a r in lots of species and there are plenty of off cuts and job lots . Just be sure to read the description as some are selling you 1 piece for the advertised price but will show several pieces in their photos, look out for free delivery and also that the seller accepts returns ( should you not like what you receive .

Facebook marketplace can sometimes be worth while looking through as well. There are a fair few people with chainsaw mills and woodmizers around the country who will pass on small decent boards of timber for petrol or beer money.

Hi Everyone
I'm new to woodworking and I'd like to get started on an initially simple (I hope) project. A simple bath caddy
Anyone live near Manchester?
Where do you buy your wood from?
Someone recommended Howarth's - but their website doesn't give much choice.
I looked at B&Q over the weekend - the choice is rubbish and limited
Thanks in advance
Give your local Travis Perkins a look, they keep a massive stock of timber, quality will be to approved building standards.
Regards

If your just starting you might not want to spend a load of money on your early skill building projects,,,if its only small (what is a bath caddy,,,you dont push the missus around in it do you?) you might find timber locally in skips where I get most of mine, or Gumtree, also you can often buy wood or old furniture at the tip which you can chop up and reuse and some lucky places have wood recycling centres. I tend to avoid the “Sheds” b&q and the like, but Wicks T&G floorboards arent too bad if you pick through, and of course there are Pallets,,tons of great wood in Pallets, often quite exotic and well worth the effort of pulling them apart,,just for info check out building things from pallets on the net and I expect lots of intresting info will pop up. You may of course be an aspiring Chippendale, in which case ignore most of the above,,,,
Good luck,
Steve.

quality will be to approved building standards.
Are you sure, a timber supplier I use does not sell to many builders because their quality is to good and hence more expensive so builders walk away. How many houses have you seen built with quality timber, they throw them up and plaster board so no one see's the wood and then many will just use MDF everything because it takes less skill although a lot of caulk to fill the gaps.

Try the junk/charity/antique type places .
Old unwanted wardrobes/cupboards/tables are full of useable wood !

Are you sure, a timber supplier I use does not sell to many builders because their quality is to good and hence more expensive so builders walk away. How many houses have you seen built with quality timber, they throw them up and plaster board so no one see's the wood and then many will just use MDF everything because it takes less skill although a lot of caulk to fill the gaps
I am referring to the quality of the wood not the quality of the builders.......

Are you sure, a timber supplier I use does not sell to many builders because their quality is to good and hence more expensive so builders walk away. How many houses have you seen built with quality timber, they throw them up and plaster board so no one see's the wood and then many will just use MDF everything because it takes less skill although a lot of caulk to fill the gaps.
For structural work we have to use graded timber, like c16 or c24. Its rating is printed on every piece. If you dont use graded timber, building control would make you rip it out. That doesnt mean its all straight..... i had about 35 lengths of 7x2 recently. Half were good, the other half must have come from a pineiferous curleywurley tree, most commonly found in jewsons 😆

Latest posts

Back