Wood punch branding tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a complete set of letters and numbers, 6mm high, from Rutland. I think they had it on offer at the time, but looks like £30 now. Comes in a nice wooden box.

Has anyone seen a supplier of individual single letter steel stamps please? I just want about 9 different letters (I'll be using manual positioning and hitting with a hammer) - about 7 or 8mm high, all uppercase.
Exactly which letters do you need? I have a number of odd letter punches that have appeared on my bench over the last 60 years.

Hello,

I am asking just out of curiosity. Today many people have special wood-burning stamps for their branding on furniture. However, on older furniture, I have seen many times the name of the manufacturer, which has been punched.

Is this done by punching individual letters that are perfectly aligned or a single stamping iron is made and this signature can be punched all at once? I assume that the signature is small, so it might be punched all at once. Can you please tell me the proper name for this iron stamp, i.e. how to look it up on the internet and if it is still being produced? I can only find individual letters, but I have not found a service that will produce my name/brand as a single punch.

Once I hand plane a board flat and true, with a sense of pride and accomplishment, I can then punch my name on it :)

Thank you.
Saw the prices for the different stamps, so I decided to make one myself. I use a 150W soldering iron for heating. It's made from brass. Have a smaller one too, but modesty gets you nowhere. Also remember to make it mirror image.

Attachments

• Varemerke.jpg
    Varemerke.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1640173465520.jpeg
    1640173465520.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
Have you looked at www.hamilton-rand.co.uk I inherited a good few wooden hand planes that had my grandfather and great grandfathers names stamp on them and thought it would be fun to add my name on them as well. I think it cost me £100 for the stamp and it produces pretty much the result in your photo.
I actually have my great grandfathers stamp. It might be my great great grandfathers as they were both John Barnard and both worked as joiners.
IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2519.jpeg

I've got a brass branding iron that I picked up at a woodworking show in Canada about 20 years ago. That has marked everything I've made since execpt the latest batch of Christmas presents. Those got marked with my laser engraver as gthey were small enough to fit the engraver and I was able to add some extra text along with my brand.

Back