Wood price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM99

Established Member
Reaction score
I like to make a couple of Adirondack chairs from the following plans

http://content.wiltontool.com/coolstuff ... ckplan.pdf.

2" x 4" x 4 @ 10'
2" x 6" x 2 @ 7'
1" x 6" x 8 @ 6'
1" x 8" x 2 @ 5'

I was quoted £850+vat for cedar and more than £500 +vat for douglas fir. Is that normal prices those are not even PAR but rough swan boards :shock: .

Even Redwood came up at £180 + VAT

Is that what i would be expecting to pay to make a couple of chairs? Or could you point me to a more reasonable timber yard.

thanks

Oli

Custard i have, i used sykes.

sunnybob exactly my thought.

Cedar would have been nice but i think its way out of my price range lol. Look like will have to stick with the big box store redwood/whitewood.

Oli

OM99":3amv9823 said:
.......Look like will have to stick with the big box store redwood/whitewood.

Do you not have a builder's merchant near you who stocks PAR? I'd never in a month of Sundays buy timber from B&Q or the like.

If nothing else the discrepancy in price between the different wood species is odd.

-Is there a mix up in the grades that were specced? Do those prices compare a high grade of one timber and a low grade of another?

-Did you ask the yard to finish to the same cutting list you posted? If their stock doesn't fit your requested dimensions that could explain the wildly differing prices.

A high grade of Cedar (two clear) should be in the region of £70-80 per cubic foot ex VAT. And a similar grade of Douglas Fir should be £40-55 ex VAT, although as Douglas Fir is growing in popularity as a furniture wood some yards are skimming off the very best boards and pricing those separately. Unsorted Redwood (the best grade that's commonly sold) is about £30-35 ex VAT.

Incidentally, Adirondack chairs are notoriously heavy. No problems if they stay put on a patio, but if you'll be moving them around then the significantly lighter weight of Cedar is as much an advantage as its durability.

Custard,

the price is for Western Red Cedar Air Dried - No2 Clears Grade, which could explain the high price.

I wasn't expecting that. will have a look at the yard next to me for some PAR redwood.

Oli

That particular design looks very wood heavy compared to the norm abrams style.
This is mine before it was painted.

norm small chair.jpg

Attachments

• norm small chair.jpg
    norm small chair.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 208
OK, I am learning something here if people think that is too much to pay. I use an online site which isn't the cheapest. I have
just put in 50mm x 100mm, 3000mm long PAR red cedar and that's coming out at £154.85 per length. And OM99 wants 4 of them!

Douglas Fir is £87.44 per 3mtr length!

Have I misread something here? What do people think the price of a 3mtr length of 50mm x 100mm of timber should be?

I have literally just come back from my woodyard (5 minutes ago) (which admittedly is NOT in the UK).
I have ordered construction grade par timber for a pergola on the side of the house. 15 x 3 metre lengths of 140 mm x 55 mm, and that came to 200 euros (£197) delivered to my door.

i made the chairs from the same timber last year.

Back