Wood preserver and top coat for workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am having a workshop built which is in log lap. The wood will require a preservative and then I assume a top coat. As I want to keep the wood natural, without adding colour, does anyone have any advice on what to use. I would also like to have the option after a period of time to be able to stain, if the workshop doesn’t look right in the garden against the other buildings which are cedar stain

Sounds like you've got the same thing as me - interlocking 2 x 4 forming a 'log cabin' type of deal.

I sprayed a wood preserver on all pieces before assembly and then overcoated with 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol. In my case it was walnut colour but they do many different shades. It stood up well for 7 years already with only the south gable beginning to matt up.

If we are talking about the same idea and you're assembling it yourself be prepared for a bit of extra work over and above their instructions. Mine was from Tigersheds.

Hi thanks for coming back. I am having it pre assembled for me due to time and a back injury. Luckily someone I know makes sheds and workshops so can more or less get what I want
Will have a look at the sickens to see whether they do a clear and also heather I can over paint if I need to add colour/ stain later. I assume you just sprayed a general preserve. Did you spray the sikkens

No - rollered nice and heavy.

Discuss with your guy insulation on roof + floor as most kits don't have any at all. I put 100mm celotex top and bottom which has made the world of difference. I also ran a bead of mastic in the groove between the 'logs' and the workshop is absolutely draft free although was very time consuming.

Hi thanks again for coming back
i am doing all the insulation, but will certainly get him to do the floor, i can cover the rest of myself with a bit of help and a lot of perseverance.

Back