Wood Panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

:oops:

Can anyone give me any ideas for making Wood Panels as cheaply as possible.

You can buy them ready made - but they are expensive.

I have a hallway/Stairs/Landing that I would like to panel (halfway up) NOT T&G.

I had an idea of using MDF then wither adding beading to create relief box effect or routing it out (like door panels).

But I cannot find any Hints or Tips or Pictures of info about this.

Please, please Help - so that I can show my Husband (as I do all the DIY i our house) that I am better than he thinks.

THanks

:roll: Marcia Farnworth
([email protected])

Do you mean real wood, or a fake board such as MDF, you talked about both.

Real wood panels are generally boards edge jointed with glue, and often biscuits. There is an example of how to do this here

Hope that helps...

if you are going to paint them them mdf or plywood can have mouldings fixed to them to give a similar apperance to solid wooden panelling.

if you want raised and fielded panels the tooling costs quite alot but there are loads of places to get info on how to do it.
you need a router. and a panel raising bit and a router table.

you can get masonite panels for walls, but i don't know what they are like.

it might be worth your while asking a local joiner how muck they would charge to mke them for you

aleks

Maz

The problem about producing relief panels with a router is that they don't look particularly real (at least not to a woodworker), however if you do want to go that route, take a look at the following three web sites: Wealden Tool <www.wealdentool.com/>...o long that a second-hand bookseler should be

Maz, there are some very nice pre made panels in MDF that are exactly as you describe, these can be very cost effective, sometimes only a little more expensive than the same size of plain MDF sheet. These can be found with a laminated or printed wood grain so they look like solid wood. As they are a complete system you will get very comprehensive instructions on how to fit them.

Otherwise.......

If you are happy with painted panels then the simple way to do it would be to line the bottom of the wall with plain MDF panels, then attach profile beading along the top bottom and sides of the panels covering the joints between the boards and the top and botom edges. Then a simple frame could be attached to the face using the same profile beading to give your relief box effect.

The panels can be attached using a construction glue like "no more nails" or screwed to the walls, making sure that the screw heads would be covered by the beading after.

Back