Wood Lathe Chuck Jaw Adaptor Compatability.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Having seen at least one manufacturer referring to using other peoples jaw adaptors, does anyone have Chucks from more than one manufacturer to compare the Jaw Fixing Hole centres etc. (Nova & Record for instance)

I have tried talking to the various reps. but obviously they do not want to divulge or be party to admitting that the hole centres are compatable.

I ask because as with all things purchased there comes a time when the accessory sold by a rival company is just what you were looking for and if they are interchangeable then, well, I can be my own judge as to the engineering safety aspects.

It also opens up the second hand acquisition market somewhat if they have at least a limited interchangeability.

Not sure, but if it helps I once asked whether the eccentric chuck from Axminster could be used on my Record and was given an emphatic "No".

So I used it anyway and it works perfectly.

Can members carefully measure the hole centres on the various chucks and post the results? My guess would be that we will find that the various scroll chucks have the same fixing hole centres.

JackL":1g1ggp9a said:
Not sure, but if it helps I once asked whether the eccentric chuck from Axminster could be used on my Record and was given an emphatic "No".

So I used it anyway and it works perfectly.
I got similar short shift from the Record people at Yandles, it resulted in them not getting a £60 ish sale and me having to make an adaptor for the purchase I did make from someone else. I know that health and safety would come down on a supplier like a ton of bricks if they sanctioned non standard parts fitments that had not been tested (and not in the salesmens interests either) but the supplying of the dimensional details should not be beyond the remit of good service.

JackL":1g1ggp9a said:
Can members carefully measure the hole centres on the various chucks and post the results? My guess would be that we will find that the various scroll chucks have the same fixing hole centres.

Exactly what I was hoping for, with the disparity of prices and availability of differing solutions from the various manufactures I was hoping that those that have the competence to check the mechanical integrity of any 'miss-match' could help widen the field of available bits and pieces.

If measuring the hole centres don't forget to measure the position of the raised locating feature that locates in the jaw carrier relative to the holes as this will be crucial.

As an aside - I have a similar problem / need to mix jaws and chuck bodies. I have an Axminster M900 lathe and a Record RP4000 chuck. No problem there. However, the lathe has a 280mm dia swing over the bed and the button jaws for the record check are 285mm dia closed. Axminsters are sized to work with the M900 but will they tell me if they will fit the record chuck - see the posts above for the answer.

Aside 2 - does anyone know why Record will not sell spare jaw carriers as from what I can see it would only need the removal of a roll pin to be able to swap jaws easily?

I believe that chuck jaw carriers and/or jaws are not generally interchangeable between chucks.

It appears that the VersaChuck has now been introduced to address this problem. I have no direct knowledge of this chuck and have not seen one, but it is available from:

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/system/index.html

Look in the AWGB Forum, here:

http://www.pw3.co.uk/cgi-bin/awgb/

and scroll down for a few Q&As on the VersaChuck.

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks for the link Trevor, this is the one that had alerted me to the possible compatibility of Jaw Adaptors.
As has been mentioned the locating key that if machined to a tight enough tolerance provides centrifugal shear force strength rather than the set screws also comes into play, but on my chuck I think that the countersunk set screws are just as likely to be taking the load due to the slack tolerances.

On my chuck the hole centres appear to be at 18 mm and are 6mm threads.

Latest posts

Back