Wood identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What colour Wood would you say Beech Is? I don’t think the colour is coming through on the pics. It’s a beautiful Khaki greyish colour
Normally, when it's fresh it's more yellowy than your pic, but I guess with age and/or fungal action (short of spalting) it can go more brownish. What diameter was the log would you say?

The bark doesn't look right, and there's not much sapwood, and the grain doesn't look right (but otherwise I agree! :cool:)

Hmmm.....

Looks out at the window at loads of Ulmus glabra........

Hmmm...takes photo of bark and a piece of firewood....

IMG_4672.JPG

The mottled one .

Hmmm....Funny grey colour too.

IMG_4674.JPG

Types......Are you both so sure ?

Last edited:
OP was told it was beech. The wood looks like beech. The bark looks like beech. Beech is very common. It probably is beech.:rolleyes:

OP was told it was beech. The wood looks like beech. The bark looks like beech. Beech is very common. It probably is beech.:rolleyes:

The op didn't think it was beech after working with it and having it in his hands. The bark is nothing like beech, the colour of the wood is nothing like beech, it looks like Wych elm and I wouldn't be surprised if it smelt like Wych elm.

Small diameter Wych elm is very common.

I'll raise your :rolleyes: with a :Facepalm emoji:

The op didn't think it was beech after working with it and having it in his hands. The bark is nothing like beech, the colour of the wood is nothing like beech, it looks like Wych elm and I wouldn't be surprised if it smelt like Wych elm.

Small diameter Wych elm is very common.

I'll raise your :rolleyes: with a :Facepalm emoji:
Not bothered either way!
He's posted a vid which wasn't there last time I looked. Yes it isn't pink enough for beech; I could be wrong! Has happened before, once in 2006 ISTR

Last edited:
Can I just add that the pink hue in beech is created from the steaming process rather than natural colouring and therefore the off white/grey of the log is its natural colour.

Back