Wood Identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jongwe

Reaction score
Hi,

I am relatively new to woodworking and bought some hardwood some time ago, that I have turned into a simple light pull (as pictured), but I would like to know what type of wood it is. Unfortunately it was only labelled as "hardwood blank" when I bought it.

I have finished the pictured with Danish oil, so if a picture of the original wood would help, I can upload one this weekend - just let me know.

I looked on the wood database and from what I can tell, it looks like walnut, but have made a few assumptions when coming to that conclusion.

Many thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpeg
    IMG_1.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2.JPEG
    IMG_2.JPEG
    150.2 KB · Views: 310
Thanks Trevanion. Will get a pic taken and uploaded hopefully tonight.

Unfortunately this is the only photo I can upload from my phone due to the size limitations, but hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• FB01572F-94C4-4AC2-A0C6-A056BED6D12A.jpeg
    FB01572F-94C4-4AC2-A0C6-A056BED6D12A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 254
Looks like iroko to me too.
You could get some more opinions to confirm this showing the face grain of the rest in the flat.
I'm sure most folks that work with the stuff make doors and windows and the likes, and not as used to seeing it in the round.

Tom

Thanks everyone. Will try and remember to get some more photos of the face and the edge grains of the flat wood tomorrow and get them uploaded.

Here's some photos of four sides of the same piece. Hopefully it helps.

Thanks everyone for your time :D

Attachments

• IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 154
Looks very dark to be iroko, a lot different in colour to your first picture.
Presuming that its not oiled, and is definitely the same stock as the rest.

Keruing is that colour and is more resinous than iroko, and the end grain looks so to my eyes.

Tom

Benchwayze":2uwdt4w2 said:
Does it have a peppery scent?

Not wanting to hi-jack Jongwe's thread, but I rescued a significantly large quantity of wood from a skip about 6 years ago that looks very similar to the OP's pictures and I recently made a start on making a storage cabinet from a small percentage of what I've got......The one thing that struck me whilst cutting and machining the timber was the distinct smell of Pepper.....

What wood do you think it might be Benchwayze...??

Here is a picture of the cabinet so far....

20190911_094257.jpg

Edit. I believe the timber was excess to requirements on a building site and had been used for Fascias under the roof...? Dimensions of the timber was 26mm x 235mm x 4800mm in length...!! I rescued 8 lengths.

Attachments

• 20190911_094257.jpg
    20190911_094257.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 140
The purplish colour made me consider Mansonia, but that has a closer grain, so if this sample has a peppery scent, then I'd go for Iroko; I need some in fact, to restore the 'wrought iron' bench-ends I got from Asda a few years ago! Unfortunately, not enough to warrant buying about 4 cube from Geo. Sykes! :D

John (hammer)

The purplish colour made me consider Mansonia, but that has a closer grain, so if this sample has a peppery scent, then I'd go for Iroko; I need some in fact, to restore the 'wrought iron' bench I got from Asda a few years ago! Unfortunately, not enough to warrant buying about 4 cube from Geo. Sykes! :D

Looking at the third picture from left, that looks to be a distinctly 'rowed' grain and I am going for Iroko.

John (hammer)

It is worth taking care if it is Iroko, in that it can cause rashes, and in some cases, breathing difficulties, so a dust mask is, in my view, essential. Google Iroko side effects, and, apart from the above, "some sensitive individuals can experience asthma-like symptoms, boils and pneumonitis", whatever that is.
Some years ago, one of the German "Two Lawyers" bespoke saw makers had very severe reactions to using it when making saw handles, and had to stop all woodworking activities for some time.
It is one of the downsides to acquiring "free" parcels of unidentified hardwoods, if you don't know what it is. A good wood identification guide is, in my view, essential, both for the use guidance and the possible health side-effects.

Ttrees":1e2kkzjz said:
Looks very dark to be iroko, a lot different in colour to your first picture.
Presuming that its not oiled, and is definitely the same stock as the rest.

Keruing is that colour and is more resinous than iroko, and the end grain looks so to my eyes.

Tom
I haven't oiled the wood in the latest photos. All from the same stock. It could be the light as these were taken outdoors.

Bedrock":navldkxv said:
It is worth taking care if it is Iroko, in that it can cause rashes, and in some cases, breathing difficulties, so a dust mask is, in my view, essential. Google Iroko side effects, and, apart from the above, "some sensitive individuals can experience asthma-like symptoms, boils and pneumonitis", whatever that is.
Some years ago, one of the German "Two Lawyers" bespoke saw makers had very severe reactions to using it when making saw handles, and had to stop all woodworking activities for some time.
It is one of the downsides to acquiring "free" parcels of unidentified hardwoods, if you don't know what it is. A good wood identification guide is, in my view, essential, both for the use guidance and the possible health side-effects.
Thanks for the advice. I use a Sundstrom SR 100 Half Mask & P3 Filter when cutting wood.

I have been using https://www.wood-database.com/ to try and identify the wood, but not having much luck so far. Any further advice on books/guides would be appreciated.

I am at work, but I will look out the book I use when I finish.
I am not a health and safety nut, but I remain horrified when I see professional tradesmen without ear defenders, facemasks, hard hats, etc., where appropriate.

Back