Wood identification please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew01279

Reaction score
Hi there I am try to identify some wood i have bought, I sent some pictures to a friend and they reckon it could be either red cedar or douglas fir, it does has a slight smell to it and it is reasonably light, I would like to get a proper opinion as I am wanting to use it in construction of my kitchen roof, I would be most thankful for any info.
Regards Mat
20210410_165651.jpg
IMG-20210410-WA0002.jpeg

Looks like scots pine - Pinus sylvestris.

It's not douglas fir, as its knots grow in regular spaced whorls.

Good for a roof.

It's old and judging by the tight grain, it came from one of the Baltic states. Norway, Sweden and Latvia were big suppliers to England.

Known and sold as red deal back then.

Edit: Rubbish spelling

Last edited:
Take a magnifier to it (a 10X loupe is best) and look at the dark rings, if they have small paler dots on them then it's a Pine, (species would be hard to specify but there is a site that has comparison images of the rings) if no dots then it's more likely a fir of some kind. I'll try and find the site for the pics.

Edit. Here is the site and the page for Scots Pine, lots of other timbers on here, it's an excellent resource for identifying timber.

Timber Database

Back