Wood identification help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatmanG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope your all safe and well with all the madness going on both here and abroad.
I bought a big slab of wood today its 5' 3" x 3' by far the biggest piece I've ever had. I took a chance on it as it looks lovely I'm hoping I got a bargain and not fire wood (hammer)
Any ideas fellow artisans I shall add the pictures now.

Attachments

• 20200220_184946.jpg
    20200220_184946.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 20200220_184934.jpg
    20200220_184934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
  • 20200220_184919.jpg
    20200220_184919.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 200
If you plane a bit of the surface and grain and upload photos it’ll help. Without those from the colour, scale of the board, local native supply, and bark I’d guess sycamore.

Fitz

I think Fitz' guess of sycamore is probably correct, but to throw a curveball in it does look a bit like holly to me. But as already said, hard to tell without a clear, planed surface and end grain shots.

If it comes up creamy white when you plane it I'd also guess sycamore from those photos purely from the bark.
Is it the bark hard but 'waxy'? Can you scratch it with a knife point and it shows a light brown surface directly beneath a green grey first layer?

Also.
Who you calling an Artisan!?!
That's fighting talk.

You can call me an Artisan when you have pried the squeegee from my cold dead frostbitten hand pal.

:|

MikeG.":pbp9zem6 said:
I can't see it being holly, simply because of the size.

I've got a piece pretty big out back 8)

But yes, 3ft wide would be stretching it, I missed that part! #-o

FatmanG":24ag54so said:
.......tried it via imgur.......

See if that works and I shall add the rest

If you click on the image in the gallery in Imgur, a pop up box appears with the image, and with a whole series of codes down the right hand side. If you click on the "Copy" button on the second-from-bottom one (BBC code) that copies the code onto you clipboard, which you then just paste into your post. The image will appear in the main body of post.

When "adding images" to Imgur, there is an auto-re-size button which means any images you take into Imgur can me made a suitable size for posting on this and other forums.

Hover your mouse over image on imgur. Click share. Click Bbcode. Right click on here. Paste. Done.

Cheers Chris I made the mistake of trying to do your guide on the phone which is different

qbHSbbh.jpg

Just one to try I'm moving it later and going to take some shavings and decent photos

Latest posts

Back