Wood identification and a budget hard wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AESamuel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a budget hard wood that is fairly easy to work for a beginner.
I've only just got started with woodworking, and I've mainly been making gifts for my family - small boxes, candle holders and the like - but I've only been using pine and I'd really like to start using some hard woods.
I'm using mainly hand tools (I have a circular saw and a jigsaw) so whatever woods I buy I would like to be easy to work with. Does anyone have any suggestions on what woods to look out for that won't break the bank!

I'd also like to ask if there are any wood identification guides for beginners so that when I go to my local hardwood shop I can at least ID the more common woods (oak, maple, things like that). Knowing what I'm looking for before I go will make me feel a lot more comfortable! :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

budget wood- offcuts would be ideal, particularly if you are making small items. Try a local joinery shop, they may have a few bits and pieces for the price of a beer.

It is not easy learning to recognise lots of different species.
If you google "wood species in furniture", you will find some pic's of some different types used and grain variations.
I have been in carpentry and joinery for some years but must admit I can only recognise about 10, or 12, different species
I some times have difficulty telling Sweet Chestnut and English oak apart, for starters!
Maybe an idea to get a small sample of 5, or 6 that you may like to use, and try and remember which is which.
It would be an idea to choose a project and then a suitable timber in which to make it.
HTH Regards Rodders

I think Tulipwood still beats ash on the cheapness scale and it's technically a hardwood - plus its easy to work. Not to my taste appearance-wise, but some people love it. It's pretty reasonable PAR or sawn from http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/s ... ound-board

Plus you can order online and they deliver in small quantities. There's also so much oak around these days that its cheap sawn if you have planing capabilities - Scawton Saw are a good source IMHO.

Latest posts

Back