Wood id

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope no-one minds me uploading pix; I have got the knack of uploading photos and am now playing catch up.

OK- can anyone help me id this lump of wood. Heavy, quite hard and kinda got a texture to it (I know all wood has a texture but this is difficult to describe; it kinda looks stitched!).

Here it is.
woodid004.jpg

ukweg019.jpg

ukweg001.jpg

If the pics aren't clear/good enough I can do more. I have a few lumps (I mean LUMPS) of this stuff and would really love to know what it is. I don't believe it is Mahogany but the funny texture to it is reminiscent of the grain in mahog. Quite nice.

Thanks, and sorry for being so demanding.

Neil

Argus - it does look like elm, doesn't it? But I have some that I know is elm and it smells totally different. So I don't think it is TBH, but am usually wrong about these things. I am in awe of a friend who is able to tell a tree from miles away, and timber with a great degree of accuracy.

Houtslager - How are you mate? Long time. Yew? No, isn't it quite pale? I have some too, and it does not look like that either. Tomorrow I will put it through the bandsaw to show a decent bit of grain, or even plane a little bit down, and that may prove you right. Or it may prove to be something totally different. It doesn't smell like Yew either, but of course that may change when it is machined.

Thanks folks.

Neil

I'll go with yew ducky :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The second looks as if it's been exposed to the elements but the 1st and 3rd are heart wood yew. If it had been a bit wider and shown the lighter sap wood then that wood ( :mrgreen: ) have shown the definate..

Edit : - Decorated with a bit of Dulux satin white :? :?

It looks like cherry on my computer screen, but it could be set too red! You say it is hard but can you make a mark in it easily with your finger nail? The grain looks like the cherry planks I have.

Gerard

OK, I have cleaned a corner up to ease id.

Gentlemen, I hope it is cherry. I have some long planks tucked away but nothing any bulkier, so a lump or two would help.

Bit of a concealed gloat included. I 'souped' up a 4 1/2 SS record. I put a thick Sorby iron in, extended the lever for the depth control so it still engaged in the chip breaker, and opened the mouth slightly. All to allow me to use the thicker iron. But the work was worth it. It is definitely the best smoother I have in the arsenal, including the 'special' planes. I may 'soup up' a 5 next.

Anyway, I have tried to expose the grain enough to allow ID. Argus was spot on; the end grain looked very elm, but I think that may have been a trick of the light. It is not that colour really. Cherry works for me. Please be so kind as to confirm for me; your opinion as a group is final as far as I am concerned.

cherry023.jpg

cherry009.jpg

Best wishes.

Neil

PS top photo take outside - natural light.
bottom photo taken inside with flash.

Latest posts

Back