wood ID sites?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello chaps, not been around much, but I am still hanging abart.
Has anyone any good sites for wood ID? I have found a lot of them but I need one that will show photos of the bark, because I keep getting bits of logs and don't know what they are and most sites do it by leaves and tree shape. cheers.

Hi there,Mrs.S - sorry,but can't help :( ; have a couple of books,and several websites bookmarked,but have yet to find one that would help identify branches from the bark.
Hope someone will be along who can help us both.

Andrew

If you put "tree identification" (with the quotation marks) and then when that comes up go to the bottom of the page and in 'search within results' put 'bark'. You will find a load of sites come up but each seems only to have a few trees in it. If you are serious about it you could easily copy and paste them into a word document for future reference.

Perhaps we need another sticky with pictures of different British trees with their bark. Shouldn't think many of us get logs of wenge or bubinga with the bark still on.

I managed to pick up some Poplar this weekend, think it is Italian Poplar, with a leaf and stem sample.

Will get some pics tomorrow and see if we can start a collection between us.

Judging by the bark it looks like something someone had, I think Paul, earlier in the year and could not identify.

Hi Mrs S. I've got a small book from the "Observers Series of Books" Published by Bloomsbury Books. Look for the Observer book of Trees by Herbert Edlin. Lot of photos of British trees with leaves bark and some uses of the timber from them. Can usually be picked up for less than a fiver. If you google for the blue above you'll pull up loads.

Hi Chas, I have just been having a fiddle and have started a table of common trees with a picture of their bark. Want me to send it to you to fiddle with?

Pete

Yes Pete, why not, I was away from home this weekend and had to do the usual google to try and determine several species and come up against the lack of bark pictures. All the major references go by leaf and bud and occasionally a text reference to the bark if it is something distinctive.

See Here and Here

I think Paul also has some pictures that could be useful.

It looks like the way to go would be to collate whatever can be found then go out and get the leaf/bud/bark info to confirm.

No point in trying to re-invent what's already out there but there is obviously a need to fill in some gaps.

I am sure it would be most helpful to share this info, and, maybe as it is for this forum, how the wood turns? because I picked some up last week and it turns like a coconut! that is loads of orange fibre under the bark? .. it was ... interesting .... but not much good.

but what is this one? it truns really nice!

conifer005.jpg

conifer006.jpg

CHJ wrote
I think Paul also has some pictures that could be useful.
Bloomin marvelous enit.
I did have some piccys but got rid a few weeks ago.
I did suggest this idea some time back but had no response to it,think it was on somone elses post :?
Thought it was a good idea at the time but soon found that most bark is very similar,and was difficult to tell apart from just a piccy.
Which i think has been proven on the forum with about half a dozen different names been put up to try and ID a piece.Very difficult.
I even cleaned some up to get rid of the green moss on them.
Still got some logs that even the tree surgeon can't identify.He uses smell a lot from freshly cut logs to ID:shock:
Still if anyone can come up with some other way then it would still be a good idea.
Paul.J.

I took some photos (not very good though) of some trees, one of them was holly and I did wonder if it could be. It's the best green wood i've tried (not that i've tried many)

I Know a lot of bark looks the same (especially at the bottom of the tree) but I have now started taking all the factors into account including leaves, bark, buds how it turns. The reason I asked was if there was already a site around with this information on, it would save me time. And SOME bark is more distinctive? any idea what this greenish one is? I found one with bark
woodtypes003.jpg

ike it and the leaves are like this.

tree7oct006.jpg

Try this site, leaf and bud based.

See Poplar HERE and HERE for a possible for the above tree. but you may have better idea of leaf/twig form than picture shows.

Try Lime as well.

I think your first log/tree might be a walnut? I had a couple of logs like that a couple of years ago from a tree feller, and he was quite sure that's what they were.

They turned out alright in the green - rather wide ringed but a nice finish. Just not a lot of character too it I thought. I've got a couple of chunky pieces left over that I rough turned and then left to dry - in fact it's probably about time I went back and had a look at them!

FWIW I think a logfile is a very good idea, it could branch out later with more woody info? (pauses for groan, turns, "I'll get me coat")........but I do think it's a good idea!

My money is on Poplar Mrs S

Tip: photo the length of the small branches/twigs with leaves on

Mrs S. I have the very same problem, i have tried and tried to get a book that will ID trees by the bark. I bought some books from Amazon that said learn to know trees and the bark was mentioned, but when i got books there was only some showing bark and it was not very clear.

I think No. 1 is Holly because it is very dense not wide ringed and am pretty sure No. 2 is poplar because I've gone back and checked out the tree shape and that seems right .. so .. for today's quiz ... what is this horrible stuff with the coconut matting under the bark? it is very fibrose and light and the bark is quite glossy whatever it is I don't want anymore!
Please excuse lousy photos, i didn't think I'd be posting them
whatisturning014.jpg

whatisturning015.jpg

Back